Tag: 上海夜网BG

Nocturnal Butterfly Found in Costa Rica after 98-Year Disappearance

first_imgBy Dialogo July 01, 2009 San José, June 30 (EFE).- The nocturnal butterfly Tetrisia florigera not seen in Costa Rica for ninety-eight years, for which reason scientists believed it had disappeared, until a local researcher found a female specimen in the Caribbean region in January, the National Biodiversity Institute (InBio) announced today. According to the Costa Rican institute, the butterfly specimen was collected in the Veragua Rainforest Park, in the province of Limón. As reported by InBio, Costa Rican entomologists found the female specimen in the park’s forest understory, at an elevation of four hundred meters, an important fact because it expands the territorial distribution of the species. The scientific records on Tetrisia florigera, discovered at the beginning of the 1870s, indicate that specimens had been collected previously only at elevations around one thousand meters. According to an official statement by InBio, this butterfly was described by American William Schaus in 1911, and the only previously-collected specimen is in the United States, in the Natural History Museum in Washington, as no Costa Rican museum has had an individual in its collection. “This discovery will allow scientists and students to carry out new studies of the natural history of this species, as well as to increase research and the creation of knowledge about the species that live in our forests and have not yet been named or identified,” the statement emphasized. José Montero, the researcher who found the butterfly, explained that the habits and habitat of Tetrisia are practically unknown to science; moreover, aspects such as diet and metamorphosis can only be observed by raising larvae, for which reason studies in the region will continue. Costa Rica is a small tropical country of scarcely 51,000 square kilometers, but it contains 4.5 percent of the total world biodiversity.last_img read more

West Java extends PSBB in Jakarta’s satellite cities until July 2

first_imgThe West Java administration has extended large-scale social restrictions (PSBB) in Bogor, Depok and Bekasi (Bodebek) until July 2.West Java COVID-19 task force secretary Daud Achmad said the 28-day extension of the policy in Jakarta’s satellite cities had become effective on Saturday. West Java Governor Ridwan Kamil has issued a circular on the province’s plan to prepare for the so-called “new normal” to resume certain activities under health protocols. The letter was distributed to regents and mayors across the province.In the circular, Ridwan asked regents and mayors to set PSBB policies that were proportional to the level of emergency in their respective areas. The governor also asked regional leaders to give leeway for religious activities in houses of worship.The provincial administration has urged mayors and regents to be consistent in sanctioning people found in violation of PSBB.“Regency and city administrations are required to submit a proposal to revoke PSBB and implement the new normal policy to the Health Minister through the governor. They must attach a study showing their preparedness to implement the new normal policy,” Daud said.As of Saturday, health authorities had confirmed 2,376 cases of COVID-19 in West Java, with 158 deaths and 779 recoveries. Nationwide, there have been 30,514 cases and 1,801 deaths.Topics : He said polices would be adjusted to each district, village and sub-district based on the level of emergency. The policy would also be adjusted to Jakarta’s plan to gradually ease restrictions in several sectors in June.Daud added that Bodebek residents were required to follow PSBB and continue wearing masks, washing their hands and maintaining physical distance.“The key to the success of PSBB in Bodebek is the public’s adherence to the rules, which could help break the COVID-19 transmission chain,” said Daud.Read also: Indonesia records unprecedented daily spike in COVID-19 caseslast_img read more

City aim to catch Liverpool napping

first_imgManchester City boss Manuel Pellegrini thinks Liverpool’s draining European exploits could give his side an advantage for Sunday’s crucial Barclays Premier League clash. He said: “We must play very good because they also have a strong squad. I don’t think they will play the same starting 11 as yesterday night. They are a strong team and it is a difficult stadium.” City were outplayed on Tuesday as they lost the first leg of their Champions League last-16 tie to Barcelona 2-1. But on the home front they have been much more fluent in their last two games after difficulties early in the new year, beating Stoke and Newcastle 4-1 and 5-0 respectively. Chelsea remain strong title favourites but City did claw two points back last week and Pellegrini wants to take advantage of their cup distraction this Sunday. He said: “Of course it is important, and more than psychologically it is important mathematically. “If we are going to have three points more, we are going to go two points behind Chelsea. It is very important to beat Liverpool and to continue winning in the Premier League, and continue fighting until the end to retain the title. As soon as we close the gap it is better for us.” The defeats of City and Liverpool this week came amid a difficult spell for English sides in Europe. Arsenal and Tottenham were also beaten while Chelsea still face a sizeable task against Paris Saint-Germain to guarantee Champions League progress. Pellegrini said: “I don’t think it is about the level of English football but I think there are a lot of things that maybe are important reasons why the results have happened. “The Premier League is very strong and every game you must play 95 minutes at 100 per cent intensity. Maybe in other leagues it is not so hard every game. “In December and January, especially in December, you have to play nine games. Last year we played 18 games in two months. Maybe it is not the best way to prepare for the knockout stages in Europe. “But there are a lot of things and also this year was not a good performance of the teams.” City should go into the game much fresher, having not played since Tuesday while Liverpool only returned from their Europa League game at Besiktas at approximately 4.30am on Friday. Pellegrini said: “I think that of course it is an advantage, (but) not a decisive one because I always think the decisive thing is the performance on the day of the game. “If we think we are going to win that game because Liverpool arrived yesterday night late, that is not the reason. “But I have played in the Europa League and when you arrive on Friday it is not the best way to prepare for a game on Sunday – but that is the rules. They are playing Europa League. “Maybe another time we (will) prepare worse for the game.” Pellegrini could open himself up for criticism given that last month his team only returned from a winter training camp in Abu Dhabi the night before their FA Cup loss to Middlesbrough. But there are differences given that City tried to time their journey to allow optimum rest while Liverpool effectively lost a night’s sleep after their match went to penalties and their return flight was delayed. The disrupted preparation could blunt Liverpool’s edge just as they seem to be building momentum for a top-four charge, but Pellegrini is not attaching too much significance to it. But the Chilean does not believe it will be a major factor and has warned that his side still have an important job to do at Anfield. With Chelsea involved in the Capital One Cup final, City can cut the London side’s lead at the top of the table to two points with a victory in the noon kick-off on Merseyside. Press Associationlast_img read more