The Latest: CFL postpones start of regular season over virus Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___The Canadian Football League is the latest sports league to postpone play because of the COVID-19 pandemic. Track president Kevin Flanery said in a statement that Churchill Downs is following the lead of the governor and public health officials and added, “Our team will be ready to open under the relevant guidance we are given when the time is right.”___Two of the biggest meetings in the British horse racing calendar have been postponed amid the coronavirus outbreak, despite previous hopes that the sport could return by the start of May.The Jockey Club says the Guineas Festival at Newmarket on May 2-3 and the English Derby Festival at Epsom on June 5-6 will not be staged on those dates.Organizers are looking at alternative dates for the meetings “given the importance of (them) to the careers of that generation of horses, and the racing and bloodstock industries as a whole.” The country is expected to remain under lockdown until April 26.Javier Tebas says other scenarios are also being studied. They include having the European competitions restarting only by the end of June and not conflicting with the domestic leagues.Tebas says it is very likely the league will restart with games in empty stadiums and that matches in venues with reduced capacity will also eventually be an option.The league president says it has been “impossible” to reach a deal with players on the salary reductions needed to reduce the financial impact of the crisis but he expects the majority of the clubs to reach agreements with players.___ The motorcycling series has yet to start its season. Eight MotoGP races have now been called off because of the virus.The Italian Grand Prix was scheduled for May 31 at the Mugello Circuit and would have been followed the next weekend by the race at the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona.Organizers say new dates for those races “cannot be confirmed until it becomes clearer when exactly it will be possible to hold the events.”___The president of the Spanish soccer league says he is not contemplating returning to action before the end of May. The KBO announced last month that it was postponing the start of its season but that it still hoped to maintain a 144-game regular-season schedule. It then said it could ban spectators from games when infection risks were high.___More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports,Tampa Bay Lightning advance to face Dallas Stars in Stanley Cup finals, beating New York Islanders 2-1 in OT in Game 6 The Derby is the most prestigious flat race in Britain, while the 1,000 and 2,000 Guineas take place at the Newmarket meeting in early May.The Jockey Club said a decision needed to be made on postponing the meetings as trainers wanted to know whether to step up preparations for the races.Racing has officially been suspended until the end of April, and the British Horseracing Authority was hoping for a resumption on May 1.___The Italian and Catalan MotoGP races have been postponed because of the coronavirus outbreak. South Korea’s professional baseball league says it hopes to start practice games between teams on April 21 before possibly opening the season in early May.The Korea Baseball Organization says the plans are contingent on the country’s coronavirus caseload continuing to slow.The KBO will advise players to wear face masks in locker rooms and require them to download smartphone apps to report their daily health status to league officials.South Korea reported 47 new cases for the second consecutive day as infections continued to wane in the worst-hit city of Daegu. Those are the smallest daily jumps since Feb. 20. The country was reporting about 500 new cases per day in early March.But there’s still concern over infections linked to passengers arriving from overseas. Associated Press “While it is now clear that the 2020 CFL season won’t start before the beginning of July, we are committed to working with our teams, the Players’ Association, (The Sports Network and its French-language sister network) to play a full season or as close as we can come to one. We recognize this may require some creativity and we are preparing for multiple scenarios.”___Churchill Downs has delayed reopening stables at the track and training center to April 28 and postponed its spring meet that was scheduled to open April 25. The track last month postponed the 146th Kentucky Derby from May 2 to Sept. 5, the first time since 1945 the race will not be run on the first Saturday in May.Churchill Downs’ stables have been closed since Dec. 31 for winter renovations and were originally scheduled to open March 17 before being delayed in response to executive orders from Gov. Andy Beshear to contain and limit the spread of COVID-19. The CFL, which was scheduled to kick off the regular season on June 11, announced Tuesday that the season won’t start before the beginning of July.“Like our fellow Canadians, we in the CFL are striving to meet today’s challenges with both pragmatism and hope,” Commissioner Randy Ambrosie said in a statement. “We are pragmatic enough to see our country still has sacrifice and hard work ahead of it.”The announcement follows comments by Mayor Naheed Nenshi that Calgary’s ban on public events until June 30 includes CFL and NHL games, should those leagues resume before then.Toronto Mayor John Tory announced last week that Canada’s largest city is canceling events through June 30 that require city permission. That ban did not extend to sporting events, although provincial gathering bans would factor in.“We respect the decisions being made by the federal government, provinces and municipalities on behalf of our safety and we will continue to follow their directives,” Ambrosie said. “These include indications from Canadian cities that they will not allow sporting events to take place before the end of June. April 7, 2020
On Wednesday, senior outside linebacker Devon Kennard was named as one of the nine semifinalists for the Lott IMPACT Trophy award sponsored by The Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation. The award honors a defensive player for his athletic performance as well as his character.Comeback · Redshirt senior linebacker Devon Kennard has led USC’s strong defense this year after missing last season with a pectoral injury. – Ralf Cheung | Daily Trojan As one of the Trojans’ team captains this season, Kennard has enjoyed a remarkable rebound campaign after missing the 2012 season with a torn pectoral muscle. He ranks 20th nationally in sacks (8) in addition to his 47 tackles, 10 tackles for losses, four pass deflections and a fumble recovery.Kennard also takes care of business in the classroom. He’s maintained a 3.23 GPA while receiving 2010 and 2011 Pac-12 All-Academic second-team honors and is currently studying for a master’s degree in communication management. Last year while rehabbing his injury, Kennard received his bachelor’s degree in communication from USC’s Annenberg School for Communication and Journalism.Though Kennard is an impressive candidate, he has stiff competition. The other semifinalists include Anthony Barr (linebacker, UCLA), Chris Borland (linebacker, Wisconsin), Aaron Donald (defensive tackle, Pitt), James Morris (linebacker, Iowa), C.J. Mosley (linebacker, Alabama), Ed Reynolds (safety, Stanford), Ryan Shazier (linebacker, Ohio State) and Kyle Van Noy (linebacker, BYU).The Lott IMPACT Trophy award is named after former USC All-American and NFL All-Pro safety Ronnie Lott. IMPACT is an acronym that stands for Integrity, Maturity, Performance, Academics, Community and Tenacity.To date, the foundation has donated more than $1 million to charities across the nation. The winner will receive $25,000 and the runner-ups will receive $5,000 for their respective universities’ general scholarship funds. Last year’s recipient was former Notre Dame and current San Diego Chargers linebacker Manti Te’o.The list of semifinalists will be narrowed down to four finalists on Nov. 27 and the winner will be announced at the 10th annual Lott IMPACT Trophy Banquet on Dec. 8 in Newport Beach, Calif. Pac-12 Commissioner Larry Scott is scheduled as the keynote speaker at the banquet, which will be televised live by Fox Sports at 7 p.m.
Facebook Twitter Google+ When Syracuse coaches told Tyrell Richards he was reverting to linebacker from defensive end, there wasn’t an immediate change for the redshirt-sophomore. One of the first things Richards adjusted to was walking into a different meeting room for positional work in Manley Field House this past winter. Richards was surrounded by veteran linebackers — like Andrew Armstrong and Lakiem Williams — and learned the position he was originally recruited for. Richards said Armstrong and Williams led question-and-answer sessions, reviewed film with underclassmen and provided veteran guidance. Absent from the room was Ryan Guthrie and Kielan Whitner, two graduated starters on last year’s squad that won 10 games. Throughout the 2019 spring season, no clear starting linebackers have emerged other than Armstrong, whom SU head coach Dino Babers said has done “the best job” so far. The senior Armstrong represents one of the answers on the roster that features question marks at linebacker. Babers billed Saturday’s spring scrimmage as a chance for rotational players like Richards, Williams, and freshmen Mikel Jones and Lee Kpogba earn a more-significant role. As a whole, the unit will need to replace 207 tackles, four-and-a-half sacks and two interceptions from 2018. The group of veterans and rookies can carry over last year’s success into one of the most anticipated seasons in recent-program history. “There’s a lot of candidates,” Babers said. “… It’s not so much watching (Armstrong), it’s watching all those other guys and see what they’re gonna be willing to do and how they’re wanting to develop.”AdvertisementThis is placeholder textArmstrong, a 6-foot-2, 234-pound senior, adopted the program staples and learned from veteran linebackers for three seasons. Parris Bennett and Zaire Franklin developed into program stalwarts while Armstrong appeared in 12 games as a freshman and made 16 tackles. In 2018, he rotated in SU’s third-down package with 45 tackles and started at strong-side linebacker against Pittsburgh.His two fumble recoveries ranked third in the Atlantic Coast Conference as he asserted himself on special teams. Armstrong saw his future role emerge in the two extra weeks of bowl practice, when younger players were able to learn the system and Armstrong already knew select packages. During the spring, Armstrong has continued his focus on leadership while “correcting the little things,” like precise footwork and tackling form. “It’s my time to step up and be a leader,” Armstrong said. “Just communicating with the defense, making sure I know other people’s position other than myself.”Anna Henderson | Digital Design EditorWilliams, a transfer from Butte College, has studied SU’s playbook while trying to carve out his own role on the defense. When he joined Syracuse last season, he said he looked for the “big hit.” While Williams tied for second on special teams tackles (three), he rarely saw snaps at outside linebacker. Guthrie told Williams to constantly review film, and the rest would follow. An emphasis on assignment and alignment carried the senior transfer through the spring. Not only does he know which gap he’s responsible for on specific plays, but he also understands if the defensive linemen should be in a one- or three-technique and where the secondary should be positioned.Like upperclassmen before them, Williams and Armstrong have led extra film sessions. They regularly text the position’s group chat after classes and encourage meet-ups at about 6 p.m. in Manley. They review 2018 game film as well as practice tape, but they don’t review SU’s mistakes, Richards said. Instead, they track offensive-gameplans and spy pulling guards. “The linebackers that really want it, they come up,” Williams said. Richards, a frequent attendee of the meetups, said the film has helped him adjust after injuries shifted him to last season’s defensive line. Richards’ versatility cements him as part of a younger crop of linebackers that Babers said “show up” on tape because of their explosiveness. But, their eagerness has led to rookie mistakes. The key, Babers said, is to allow Richards, Jones and Kpogba to take the first step as opposed to chasing a play down after misreading it. Standing on the turf field in Manley, the linebacker unit stood behind five trash cans representing an offensive line. SU coaches filled out the skill positions. Before each snap, they called out coverages, and the linebackers reacted as if it were in-game. Some flared toward the flats, others hook-curled in pass protection. It was months before the real games would start, in the midst of the doldrums of spring ball, but the drill was a benchmark test for a player’s IQ. It was a way to find out who was ready to stand out in Syracuse’s unproven linebacker group. “Everybody is a different style player,” Williams said. “And now it’s up to the coaches to figure out who’s gonna be where and who’s gonna do what.” Comments Published on April 10, 2019 at 11:13 pm Contact Nick: firstname.lastname@example.org | @nick_a_alvarez
The Australian police, which is investigating the murder of Toyah Cordingley on a beach in north Queensland, has identified a male Indian nurse as the most probable suspect in her murder.According to a report in The Australian news portal, the Indian nurse was last seen with scratch marks and fled overseas after the attack. Other media reports said the suspect fled to his hometown in India leaving his family behind.According to the portal, the suspect, Rajwinder Singh, is a Queensland Health-registered nurse working at Innisfail hospital, south of Cairns. He booked a flight to India on the night of the murder and then left the next day.The 24-year-old Cordingley, a pharmacy worker, was brutally attacked while walking her dog in broad daylight on Wangetti Beach, 40km north of Cairns, on Sunday, Oct. 21.Her body was found in sand dunes by her father the next morning, prompting an outpouring of grief and anger by the public and a mounting campaign by residents to help find her killer, the portal reported.The Cairns and Hinterland Hospital and Health Service, where Singh worked, confirmed that the nurse left work shortly after Toyah’s murder and was no longer an employee.“As it is under police investigation we are not making comment at this time,” the portal quoted a health service spokesman as saying.According to the Sunday Mail newspaper, the police questioned the hospital about the nurse’s behavior, movements, and work history.Singh first came under suspicion when the local police triangulated Toyah’s mobile phone and identified his car in CCTV and dash camera footage. According to Seven News, Singh was driving his car erratically in the Cairns area on the night of the murder.Police last month released CCTV footage of 68 vehicles they wanted to identify as part of the probe, the Australian wrote.Queensland police and the Australian Federal Police are working with Interpol and authorities in India, the portal wrote adding that Australia has an extradition agreement with India. Related Items