“I’m not sure what his letter says,” he said. But to put General Lee and slave labor in the same letter “convinced me that that had to be a document of some historical importance.” The issues addressed in the letters ranged from defense to the mundane. A $75 bid bought a bill of sale for bags of flour. Willcox’s letters were supposed to be auctioned in 2004. But South Carolina sued, claiming they were written as part of official state business and were government property. A federal judge ruled last year that Willcox owned the collection, which were in his family for generations before he discovered them in his parents’ home after they died. The legal spat led Willcox to file for bankruptcy. Willcox said he was disappointed with the sales. He said he’s sure he at least broke even after spending money on legal fees and $70,000 for a detailed appraisal of the documents. “I thought it would have gone better,” he said. “At the end of the day, it’s over.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! COLUMBIA, S.C. – For months, 11 folders of old papers rescued from his parents’ closet sat in Thomas Willcox’s sport utility vehicle. Then he realized some were signed by Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and might be valuable. They were. The three letters, written by Lee during the Civil War, sold at auction Saturday for $61,000. That was far off the record $630,000 a Lee item sold for in 2002. But it was an improvement from last year, when two letters from the general who surrendered in 1865, sold for $5,000 and $1,900, said Patrick Scott, director of rare books and special collections at the University of South Carolina’s Thomas Cooper Library. The letters were among more than 400 documents Willcox put up for auction after a protracted fight with the state, which claimed ownership of the documents that had been in Willcox’s family for years. Neither Willcox nor the auction house had specific figures, but estimates placed the total sales at less than $400,000. The collection details life in South Carolina from 1861 to 1863. Many of the letters are correspondence between generals and the Confederate government and Govs. Francis Wilkinson Pickens and Milledge Luke Bonham. “The strength of the enemy, as far as I am able to judge, exceeds the whole force that we have in the state,” Lee wrote to Pickens on Dec. 27, 1861. “It can be thrown with great celerity against any point, and far outnumbers any force we can bring against it in the field.” Other letters are from residents asking for help defending their communities or for the return of slaves taken from plantations to help build fortifications. Some document the grisly details of war. “But shall I tell you now of the battlefield?” Sgt. Maj. William S. Mullins of the 8th Regiment of South Carolina Volunteers wrote in an Aug. 6, 1861, letter about the first Battle of Manassas. “Of the dead hideous in every form of ghastly death: heads off, arms off, abdomens protruding, every form of wound, low groans, sharp cries … convulsive agonies as the souls took flight. It is useless to write. I know something of the power of words to paint and I tell you that a man must see all this to conceive it.” Fewer than 50 people gathered for the auction of old correspondence, telegrams, bills and receipts. Two of the Lee letters were sold to an out-of-state collector bidding by phone. David Ellison of Columbia spent $27,000 for a Lee letter that talked about using slave labor to build defenses.
Matt Phillips’ fortuitous goal on the stroke of half-time put the home side ahead at Loftus-Road, where Jack Robinson is making his QPR debut.Left-back Robinson, who was signed from Liverpool in the summer of 2014 and suffered a long-term knee injury last March while on loan at Huddersfield, had an encouraging first half.Both teams struggled to create chances before Phillips swung in a cross from the right towards Junior Hoilett. The Canadian failed to make contact and the ball crept into the net at the far post.The best opportunity before that fell to Rangers, but after James Perch collected Phillips’ clever pass and crossed from the right, Sebastian Polter was unable to apply the finishing touch.Troubled Charlton had another let-off when Tjaronn Chery’s left-wing free-kick ricocheted off Perch into the arms of keeper Nick Pope.At the other end, Alex Smithies pushed away a shot from Callum Harriott before Rod Fanni headed wide from Harriott’s free-kick.QPR: Smithies; Perch, Onuoha, Hall, Robinson; Henry, Luongo; Phillips, Chery, Hoilett; Polter.Subs: Ingram, Kpekawa, Faurlin, Petrasso, El Khayati, Gladwin, Washington.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
30 October 2009Scenes of diski dancing and sounds of vuvuzelas rocked the Union Buildings in Pretoria on Friday as Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe and a host of Cabinet ministers joined 2010 ambassador Lucas Radebe, mascot Zakumi and a host of other VIPs in a colourful endorsement of the Football Fridays initiative.It was an extraordinary occasion at the seat of government, where strict protocol is usually the order of the day.Click arrow to play slideshowView the full photoset on FlickrVideo: Football Friday hits TshwaneVideo: Diski Dancing in the Capital CityCabinet ministers wearing Bafana Bafana jerseys, including Justice and Constitutional Development Minister Jeff Radebe, Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa, State Security Minister Siyabonga Cwele, Sports Minister Makhenkesi Stofile, as well as the Deputy President himself, blew their vuvuzelas and danced South Africa’s own diski dance.The western lawn of the Union Buildings was painted the colours of the South African flag as government officials, 2010 Fifa World Cup™ stakeholders and senior government officials gathered to show support for the national football team and to join in mobilising South Africans to adopt Football Fridays.The initiative aims to build support and enthusiasm as the countdown to Africa’s first World Cup gains momentum, by getting South Africans to wear a football jersey – first choice being a Bafana Bafana jersey – every Friday until the start of the World Cup in June 2010.“We would like to make the call to all South Africans, especially public servants, to wear a football jersey every Friday in anticipation of this great celebration coming our way next year,” Motlanthe told the gathered crowd.He also urged South Africans to learn the diski dance as part of being a good host and preparing to welcome the world in a celebratory style. Doing the dance, he quipped, would also have long-term health benefits.Former Bafana Bafana captain and 2010 World Cup ambassador Lucas Radebe urged South Africans to participate in the Football Fridays campaign.“By wearing our shirt every Friday, we will not only show a sense of patriotism but also encourage the national team to do well,” Radebe said. “Let’s all support this campaign and rally behind Bafana Bafana, because they need us as a nation.”Also in attendance were 2010 Organising Committee (OC) chief executive Danny Jordaan and chairman Irvin Khoza, SA Football Association president Kirsten Nematandani, and members of the International Marketing Council of South Africa (IMC), custodian of Brand South Africa.Football Fridays is a joint initiative of the country’s major 2010 partners, namely the OC, the IMC, the Government Communication and Information System, South African Tourism and the South African Broadcasting Corporation.Source: BuaNews, with additional reporting by SAinfo
Bronze, silver or gold: South African female sporting heroes have long carried the pride of the country on their shoulders and in their hearts.But raising the profile of South African women in sport takes blood, sweat and tears, on and off the field. Sporting bodies and pioneers in the industry are hard at work to ensure that women’s sport is well established, receives sufficient financial backing, and gets free and fair media coverage.One sure fact is that there’s always something to celebrate. SA’s National Women’s soccer team, Banyana Banyana made history in November last year after qualifying for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup for the first time. The team, led by their fearless coach Desiree Ellis, will be heading out to France to compete in June.A star player worthy of a special mention is Portia Modise, retired Banyana Banyana’s all-time leading goal-scorer who has been selected as one of 13 FIFA ambassadors for the upcoming Women’s World Cup, a role she has taken up with high regards. Apart from her excellent striker skills on the field, Portia has always advocated for women in sport to be treated equal to their male counterparts, especially in the area of remuneration.Speaking to Fifa.com in a recent interview, Portia said: “This (WWC) is going to bring change for a lot of young women and open a platform for girls who didn’t know where to go. I think things will slowly change.”Another resilient voice advocating for women in sport, is Brand South Africa’s Board Trustee, Ms. Muditambi Ravele. In her capacity as chairperson of the South African Women & Sports Foundation, Ms. Ravele addressed delegates at the 2018 FIFA Women’s Administrators four-day Course in August last year, where she spoke about the misconception that women are constantly tearing one another down, highlighting how much support women give each other. Known for pushing boundaries, Ms. Ravele encourages many sportswomen to join what is predominantly perceived as male-dominated sports, like boxing.In raising the profile of women in sport, Brand South Africa’s Play Your Part Ambassador and Sports Media Personality, Kass Naidoo utilises her platform Gsport, to celebrate South African women in sport. Gsport aims to improve the media profile of South African women in sport, that will in turn, help with more sponsorship opportunities. Through extensive media coverage, Gsport wishes to on-board Corporate South Africa to stand behind female athletes.Brand South Africa commends these pioneers who not only engage in on-going dialogues that encourage a strengthened Nation Brand, but also lead by example.
Related Posts The cranky elves that run the iPhone App Store may be warming up after all to the emerging field of Augmented Reality (AR). AR app makers, who are building sci-fi-like interfaces for viewing data about the physical world on top of the mobile phone’s camera, were beginning to feel spurned. Today Apple both approved the most eagerly anticipated Augmented Reality app yet, Amsterdam’s AR browser Layar (iTunes link), and made its primary challenger, Wikitude (iTunes link), a featured app in the iTunes App Store.Those moves came a month after many AR-watchers were dissapointed that Apple didn’t offer big support to Augmented Reality when launching the latest version of the iPhone OS. Some critics complain that even if some forms of AR are being permitted by Apple, the company still has a tight grip on APIs that could enable whole new methods of displaying data on top of the phone’s camera view if made publicly available. It’s not a happy relationship, but perhaps that’s beginning to change.Layar is a browser that displays geo-located information like real-estate listings and restaurant reviews on top of a mobile camera’s view of its surroundings. The company has used well-made demo videos to stoke excitement among iPhone owners for months. The app has long been available on Android handsets but just emerged from the dark and mysterious iTunes App Store approval process this morning.Its competitor Wikitude displays Wikipedia data (as Layar does) as well as user-generated Points of Interest input through its website Wikitude.me. Wikitude was made a featured app in iTunes today, just hours before Layar went live in the store. A long list of AR companies were at the edge of their seats waiting for a big announcement in September, believing that Apple would make public all the technical hooks they needed to create an Augmented Reality experience. Instead of the expected opening-up and perhaps some publicity for this very eye-catching software niche, Apple opened up only some of the APIs needed, didn’t make any public mention of AR and has slowly let AR apps trickle into the App Store with no fan-fare over the last month.All of this creates a very different experience for startups compared to the way they can launch apps on Android phones. They simply post them to the Android App Store, no approval process needed. Application developers are also working on AR for Nokia, a handset with far greater user numbers than the iPhone has – but everyone’s been waiting for AR to bloom on the much-hyped iPhone and Apple hasn’t been very supportive.Robert Rice wrote in an open letter last week that:“One of two things needs to happen. Either Apple needs to quit screwing us around and make [all] the APIs public so we can get back to the business of innovating and building a new industry, or the respective communities of developers and venture capitalists need to abandon Apple entirely. There are good alternatives out there that may not be as shiny, but are certainly as powerful and definitely more open for us to work with.”It’s also possible that Apple hasn’t been offering AR apps meaningful support because so far they are a little dissapointing once consumers get their hands on them. GPS data is clumsy, data sets are incomplete and the user experience still hasn’t been nailed yet by anyone. It’s also borderline embarrassing to wave your phone around in the air when out in public, surrounded by people you don’t know. That’s quite unlike the usual experience Apple tries to associate with itself.Perhaps things are changing, though. It’s exciting to think about bringing latent geo-located data out into a view accessible through a mobile phone. It would be nice to see Apple help advance this early field, instead of giving it the cold shoulder and silent treatment. End-users should recognize as well that the super-wow but controlled experience of the iPhone could be holding back other, even more exciting innovations. 4 Keys to a Kid-Safe App marshall kirkpatrick Tags:#Augmented Reality#NYT#web 5 Outdoor Activities for Beating Office Burnout 9 Books That Make Perfect Gifts for Industry Ex… 12 Unique Gifts for the Hard-to-Shop-for People…
The Calangute police in North coastal Goa on Tuesday arrested a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) jawan, Rajvir Prabhudayal Singh, for outraging the modesty of a woman.Jivba Dalvi, Police Inspector-in-charge of Calangute police station, said that a complaint was received from a lady from Mumbai who was sea-bathing along with her husband and kids at Calangute beach on Tuesday at around 4 p.m. Mr. Singh, who was also sea-bathing nearby, approached the lady, allegedly touched her inappropriately and abused her with vulgar words, thereby outraging her modesty.Further, when the lady’s husband questioned the accused, Mr. Singh assaulted him with fist blows.The police registered an offence Under Section 354-A, 323 of the Indian Penal Code and during the investigation the accused was arrested.During the investigation, it was revealed that the accused, 43, from Dhimwali in Rajasthan, is posted as a Hawaldar in the CRPF and is currently deployed at Recruit Training Centre in Madhya Pradesh, police said.