Jamaica’s female beach volleyballer, Kai Wright, said their fifth place finish at the Norceca Beach Volleyball tour in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic, on the weekend resulted from their passion and determination and believes she and partner, Danielle Perry, will make it to Rio this summer. Wright noted that Perry lives abroad so regular practice is not possible and tournament like these play an important role in their preparation. However, the main reason they went to the Dominica Republic was to gain experience and practice. “The main purpose was to prepare for the third round of Olympic qualifiers, get selected for the Pan Am Games, get practice, see other teams and get some experience going into the third round. “The tournament was very challenging. Every team played us competitively because we were the underdogs. Nobody expected anything from us, much less to get a big placing, so they came at us really hard. But we played real hard, worked together and achieved fifth place and it shows the passion we have for the sport,” said Wright. “My partner is from Florida so we don’t get to practice together much, but she is very passionate, she is very determined, she goes hard and plays really hard, she is very motivating, so I have a tremendous partner. Over the weekend we learnt a lot about each other playing wise and we are just working as a team,” she told The Gleaner. She thinks they are strong enough to seriously compete for a spot in the Rio Olympics when they travel to the Casova Women’s Beach Volleyball Olympic third round qualifiers in El Salvador next week. “The more we go and represent and play the more the results are coming, it means our performance is getting better every time and that is what we aim to achieve,” she surmised. “We are very prepared, we have camp where the overseas players come down and we train every day, two times for the day. Hopefully we’ll go to the third round and be ready mentally and physically and I am very confident we can reach the Olympics,” said Wright. “We have one week before we leave for the third round and we’re looking to qualify and put Jamaica on top. We want to pave the way for the younger volleyball players, so we will work hard, play hard and qualify for the Olympics,” she promised. VOLLEYBALL:
Jimmy Duffy’s Annagry Community NotesBOOK LAUNCHA new book written by David A. Dunlop was launched recently at a function in Leos Tavern Meenaleck. The novel called Olieán na Márbh (The Island of the Dead) is set in the Lower Rosses in 1897 was launched by Domhnall Mac Ruairí and Mary McCaul. It’s a story of landscape and history, of love and loss, of change and challenge to cultural norms, of clergy and community, of misunderstanding and rumour, of responsibility and redemption. The book is available in two formats, in paperback and ebook from www.amazon.com or from the author himself. The ebook version has background music depicting the music of one of its characters. David can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org. Music at the launch night was provided by Clann Mhic Ruairí, Brí, Tara Haughey, Martin Crossan and harpist Lucy Caird. David a native of North Co. Antrim has been visiting the area for more than thirty years and is now residing in Mullaghduff. Listen to David as he talks about his book to Jimmy Duffy on The Memory Lane programme live on www.rossesradio.com on Saturday September 13th at 3.30pm. TIDY TOWN SUCCESSFollowing the their success in the 2014 Tidy Towns competition this week, the PRO of Annagry Tidy Towns committee Seamus Rodgers congratulated Community workers, Tús Scheme workers, CE Scheme workers, Business people in the village, local householders, Donegal County Council and last but certainly not least Eddie Duffy with his Bikes in Bloom. Annagry’s gain of seven points on last year’s total show that the graph is going in the right direction. He also congratulated neighbouring areas participating in this year’s competition.CLASSES AND ACTIVITIESCoiste Forbartha Anagaire will facilitate a number of classes and activities this autumn. We hope to provide many other activities, events and dances in the Hall over the season. These and other happenings in the area will be published in our community notes, facebook, website www.annagrycommunity.com and our newsletter which will be available in local outlets in the coming weeks. If you feel that there is something else that could be happening in the hall or the community, please let us know. For further contact us at email@example.com or by mobile 087 1935066. PILATESPilates classes start on Monday morning September 29th between 10.30am and 11.30am in Annagry Community Hall. The total fee for this six week long course is €60. If the cost is paid in full on day one, the overall cost will be reduced. To enrol, contact 0871483548.CROCHETCrochet classes will begin on Wednesday evening September 24th at 7 pm in Annagry Community Hall. The cost of this 6 week long course is €45 payable on night one. Contact 0871935066 or firstname.lastname@example.org to enrol.FLY TYING Tution in the craft of Fly Tying will begin on Tuesday evening October 14th in Annagry Community Hall. This is an 8 week long course and is suitable for all age groups. The cost is €60 or €40 for under 18s. For further information contact Contact 0871935066 or email@example.comSOCIAL MEDIASocial media classes will be held on Wednesday afternoons starting October 22nd in Annagry Community Hall. This class will all aspects of Social Media such as email, search engines, online searching, booking and buying, twitter, facebook, scype etc.YOGA Yoga classes will start on Thursday 25th September in Annagry Community Hall from 7pm – 8.30pm. The fee for this eight week long course is €60 payable at the beginning of class one. Booking is essential. Contact 0871935066 or firstname.lastname@example.org to enrol.LOCAL HISTORY AND HERITAGEA Local History and Heritage course will begin on Tuesday October 15th in Annagry Community Hall. This night class will be held over the course of eight weeks. It will cover subjects such as family history, place names, historic events and locations, folklore, folklife etc. For further information contact us at email@example.com or by mobile 087 1935066.ART CLASSBeginners Art Classes will be held on Saturday afternoons between 12pm and 2pm in Annagry Community Hall. Although this class will be taught through the medium of oils, others mediums will be accommodated. For further information contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or by mobile 087 1935066.TABLE QUIZA Table Quiz in aid of Donegal Irish Kidney Association Branch will be held in Caisleain Óir Annagry on Wednesday September 17th at 10pm. Teams of four €20 per table. Thank you for your continued support.WAR COMMEMORATIONThe involvement of the Lower Rosses, Crolly and the Hills area one hundred years ago was commemorated over a weeklong event held in Annagry Hall and Kincasslagh Church and Cemetery. The event started on Monday September 25th with an ecumenical service of remembrance in the Community Hall Annagry at which Fr. Pat Ward P.P and Margaret Boyd Church of Ireland presided. The readers at the service were Jim Boyd Carnboy and Hannah Gallagher Mullaghduff. After the service an exhibition opened, chronicling the lives of 160 local people caught up in the upheaval of war, in which at least 65 from this area paid the ultimate price. In addition to the local display, Donegal County Museum Letterkenny kindly displayed their travelling World War One exhibition. On Wednesday September 27th a Memorial Mass was held in Kincasslagh Church. In his apt and thought provoking sermon Fr. Pat Ward asked for the forgiveness of the Catholic Church’s role in World War One enlistments. He prayed for the people of the area caught up in all wars and the victims of the Ballymanus Mine Disaster. After the Mass, Fr. Ward unveiled and blessed a memorial stone that reads “Dedicated to the memory of Lower Rosses who have died as a result of war”. This memorial is situated in the south eastern side of Kincasslagh Old Graveyard. The highlight of the exhibition came on Saturday September 30th when many local people put on display for the first time personal artefacts relating to their relatives who took part in war. This display will form part of a County wide exhibition opening in the County Museum Letterkenny on Wednesday September 25th at 7.30pm. All is welcome to attend but RSVP required to 074 9124613 or to email@example.comSYMPATHYSympathy of the community is extended to the relatives and friends of the late Michael Rodgers Braade, Gracie Duffy Belcruit Mountain and Calendar Scotland and Patrick Doogan Gortnasade who have recently passed to their eternal reward. May they rest in peace.LOTTOThere was no winner of the €1880 jackpot in the Naomh Muire Club Lotto for September 3rd. The numbers drawn were 3-16-17-18. Alec McDyer Kerrytown, Odhran Duffy Carrickfin, Bridget Marry Rannyhual, Shannon Sharkey Annagry and Sally Rodgers Ailt an Éin Loughanure matched 3 numbers. The jackpot on September 10th is €1940. If you’re not in, you can’t win! The next 100+Draw is on the 25th of Sept. Sellers are asked to please get your subs in on time to the co-ordinator.DD LOCAL: ANNAGRY TIDY TOWNS COMMITTEE TOAST SUCCESS was last modified: September 11th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Annagry newsJimmy Duffy
The Senate, on Friday (June 1), approved two reports from Parliament’s Regulations Committee pertaining to the National Housing Trust (Housing Benefit) (Special Selections) (Estuary Housing Development) Order, 2017, and National Housing Trust (Housing Benefits) (Special Selection) (Berkshire Court of Eltham) Order, 2018. Story Highlights The National Housing Trust (Housing Benefits) (Special Selections) (Estuary Housing Development) Order 2017, was tabled last October, and the National Housing Trust (Housing Benefits) (Special Selections) (Berkshire Courts of Eltham) Order 2018, in May. The Senate, on Friday (June 1), approved two reports from Parliament’s Regulations Committee pertaining to the National Housing Trust (Housing Benefit) (Special Selections) (Estuary Housing Development) Order, 2017, and National Housing Trust (Housing Benefits) (Special Selection) (Berkshire Court of Eltham) Order, 2018.The reports, which were tabled during the Senate’s sitting at Gordon House, resulted from the Committee’s deliberations on the Orders, which were previously tabled in the Upper House.The National Housing Trust (Housing Benefits) (Special Selections) (Estuary Housing Development) Order 2017, was tabled last October, and the National Housing Trust (Housing Benefits) (Special Selections) (Berkshire Courts of Eltham) Order 2018, in May.Government Senator, Matthew Samuda, who moved the Motion for the documents’ tabling, noted that the attendant projects would be beneficial to numerous Jamaicans, especially public servants in need of proper housing facilities.“As the Senate is aware, the NHT may (allocate) a number of units in housing developments for specific groups, such as the police, soldiers, and public servants and, in some cases, those who are disabled. Orders are done specifying these (allocations). The Committee found the regulations to be in order and reported (same) to the Senate,” Mr. Samuda said.When the Orders come into effect, the NHT shall establish and operate a special programme to provide housing solutions in both the Estuary in St. James and Berkshire Court of Eltham in St. Catherine to qualified persons.The NHT plans to provide 15,000 housing solutions by 2020 to qualified persons islandwide, including those in the Estuary and Berkshire Court.To date, the NHT shortlisted approximately 1,425 applications for one-bedroom detached housing units in the Estuary, of which 300 were made available in 2017, while 44 beneficiaries received keys to new homes at Berkshire Court in 2017. To date, the NHT shortlisted approximately 1,425 applications for one-bedroom detached housing units in the Estuary, of which 300 were made available in 2017, while 44 beneficiaries received keys to new homes at Berkshire Court in 2017.
Last Thursday, court also heard from a detective who conducted forensic examinations on a computer seized from Overby’s home.Jason Joseph testified he was able to go through the computer’s hard drive and forwarded the information to homicide investigators.He said one image was found and investigators asked him to locate other similar images.Three photos showing Wood and Overby together in his home were entered into evidence earlier this week.In a police video shown on the opening day of the trial, Overby denied knowing Wood when police questioned him about her.Joseph located the three photos but testified the originals were not found on the computer.“I suspect it was deleted… it is my opinion it was deleted off the original device,” said Joseph.(Christine Wood and Brett Overby. Court Exhibit)Court has previously heard crown prosecutors believe Wood used Overby’s cellphone on the night she disappeared.That particular device has never been found.Joseph testified forensic evidence proved the pictures were taken on a cellphone but he could not confirm when they were taken.The photos are undated and information about where they came from has yet to be disclosed. Court exhibit)It appears the clothing Wood is wearing is the same clothing her parents last saw her in.Both Melinda and George Wood testified Christine bought a green bandeau top, a navy lacy top and dark denim shorts on the day she disappeared.The trial is expected to run until May firstname.lastname@example.org@aptnnews-with files from The Canadian Press The house in Winnipeg where police believe Christine Wood was killed. Court exhibitAPTN NewsThe man accused of killing Christine Wood in Manitoba says he blacked out before realizing she was dead on his basement floor.Brett Overby, 32, has pleaded not guilty to second-degree murder in the death of 21-year-old Wood.Wood had travelled to Winnipeg from Oxford House First Nation in northern Manitoba in the summer of 2016.She was staying with her parents in a hotel and Crown prosecutors argue Wood met Overby through the online dating site PlentyofFish.Her body was found nearly a year later in a ditch outside the city.Overby has testified that Wood was pressuring him to have sex without a condom and came at him with a knife.He told a jury that she somehow ended up in a pool of blood on the floor and he never intended to hurt or kill her.Court previously heard that two messages sent from Wood’s Facebook account led them to Overby’s home in January 2017.Thomas Guenther, one of the detectives assigned to Wood’s case, testified on Wednesday police were eventually able to determine only one device, believed to be Overby’s cellphone, was connected to his WIFI on the night in question.Police were able to trace the IP address used as one belonging to Overby.(Christine Wood in an undated photo)The former common-law partner of the man accused of killing Christine Wood told a Winnipeg courtroom last week he asked her to lie to police for him.Shirley Houle says she received text messages from Overby asking her to say she didn’t know anything about his online dating account.Houle was questioned by police on Feb. 1, 2017, shortly after Overby became a person of interest in the case.In one part Houle wrote, “Gotta go in tomorrow morning for a video statement.”Overby responded, “Oh shit really?? Wtf? Wonder why. Im actually really nervous about this whole situation. Im getting like anxiety and shit about it..I don’t even know her.”Later in the conversation Overby wrote, “Do me a favour, u don’t know about anything i do anymore k? I DIDN’T do anything, its just im really nervous and would like them to stop bugging me.”He went on to write, “U don’t know about POF either k.”Read the complete court record of text messages: Houle Overby interactionHoule says the couple were together almost 10 years before they broke up in March 2016.The Crown argued Wood went to Overby’s home on Aug. 19, 2016 and that was the last place she was alive.Wood was visiting Winnipeg from her home community of Bunibonibee Cree Nation when she went missing.Her parents last saw her at a hotel. She told them she was going to meet up with friends.Two days later they filed a missing persons report with Winnipeg police.Police executed a search of Overby’s house on Mar. 22, 2017 where he was arrested. He was later charged on Apr. 7.