A German national was allegedly beaten by a railway contractor at the Robertsganj railway station in the district, police said on SundayThe incident comes days after a Swiss couple were attacked near the railway station at Agra’s Fatehpur Sikri.Holger Ereek was allegedly beaten by railway contractor Aman Kumar on Saturday after which the station master informed the police. Circle officer Vivekanand Tiwari said that the accused has been arrested.However, the railway contractor alleged that when he greeted Ereek by saying “welcome to India”, he hit him. The victim refused to talk to the media.Not the first incidentOn October 22, the Swiss couple from Lausanne in Switzerland, Quentin Jeremy Clerc (24) and his girlfriend Marie Droz (24), was chased and attacked with stones and sticks by a group of five youths in Fatehpur Sikri, triggering widespread outrage.The couple was quoted as saying in a media report that they were strolling near the station at Fatehpur Sikri after a day in Agra when a group of youths started following them and later attacked.The couple said as they lay on the ground bloodied and bruised, bystanders began taking videos of them on their mobile phones, the report said. All the accused were arrested and External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj had sought a report from the UP government on the attack.Union Minister of State for Tourism K.J Alphons had written to State Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath, saying the incident could have a negative impact on the image of the country.UP Director General of Police Sulkhan Singh had issued a list of guidelines, including deployment of policemen in plain clothes, more patrolling and installation of CCTV cameras, to prevent such incidents.The couple were also offered a free stay in 5-star hotel in the national capital as a “token of concern” by Mr. Alphons.
The Canadian Press VANCOUVER — The Crown is urging jurors to find no reasonable doubt when they decide the fate of a man who confessed to killing a 12-year-old girl in British Columbia in 1978.In closing arguments at the B.C. Supreme Court murder trial of Garry Handlen, Crown counsel Gordon Matei told the jury that an undercover officer did not coerce the man to admit he abducted, sexually assaulted and murdered Monica Jack.Handlen has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder but confessed in 2014 in a videotaped recording heard in court that he grabbed the girl while she was riding her bike near Merritt.Matei told the jury that Handlen expressed relief after his detailed confession, saying he could point to the spot where he abducted Jack, 36 years after he said he forced her into his truck.He said Handlen had no need to continue working for a supposed crime group set up in a RCMP sting operation because he had lots of work as a handyman.Matei said Handlen’s main motivation for confessing to the girl’s murder was to avoid prosecution because he had been told police had evidence against him.