Donegal County Council has been hailed for its spending and time on promoting the message of road safety.Figures just released have revealed the spent €521,648 from 2014 until 2018 on road safety and anti-drink-drive artwork, marketing and training.In some cases, Donegal’s spending on road safety has been almost 27 times more than similar counties. Donegal had 10 deaths on its roads last year, spending 27 times Tipperary’s €18,919.89, which had 11 fatalities on its roads in the same time period.Both counties have a similar population of around 159,000 people.When presented with the figures, the Irish Road Victims Association said it “welcomes Donegal’s efforts and financial investment in trying to prevent death and injury in the county, which has suffered greatly”.Cork County Council spent €73,181, seven times less than that of Donegal, and the county had 16 road deaths in 2018. Donegal spends as much as Clare (€60,249), Tipperary (€18,919.89), Monaghan (€9,459.76) and Cork (€73,181) put together in the years 2014-2018.Larger county councils such as Dublin and Galway spent €3,397,651 and €2,806,356.79 respectively.Donegal’s battle with road safety has been well-highlighted in recent years following multiple accidents in recent including the Buncrana road tragedy in which eight people died and this year’s tragedy in Gortahork in which four young men lost their lives.Spearheaded by Donegal’s road safety officer, Brian O’Donnell, Donegal County Council has been proactive in their approach to road safety.These measures include continuous safety campaigns, road safety roadshows as well as the setting up of the Donegal Road Safety Working Group. “Reducing the number of deaths and injuries on Donegal’s roads is a responsibility we all share and Donegal County Council through the Donegal Road Safety Working Group (DRSWG) is committed to continuing to work with all our partners to achieve this aim,” a spokesman said.Donegal County Council hailed for its spending and commitment to road safety was last modified: July 11th, 2019 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:council road safetydonegalPraisevictims
Two persons died, while two others were injured after a few youths opened fired at the staff in a garment shop in a mall in Varanasi over a dispute on Wednesday, police said.The incident took place at the JHV shopping mall in the high-security Cantonment area of the Uttar Pradesh city. The suspects, alleged to be students of the Kashi Vidyapeeth University, have been identified. The three suspects entered the branded apparel store and one of them, identified as Alok Upadhyay, inquired about a salesman named Prashant. The suspect then got involved in a brawl with the other staff but was soon overpowered. A country-made pistol he was carrying was also snatched away, said a witness. Vivek Tripathi, UP police spokesperson, said after finding their friend overpowered, the other two youths tried to rescue him and fired shots at the salesmen and in the air.Two persons, Gopi Kanaujia and Sunil Kumar, died of bullet injuries, while Vishal Singh and Chandan Sharma, were admitted to hospital and are said to be stable, police said.”They also fired shots indiscriminately in the mall, after exiting the store,” said one of the witnesses. While initially police was told that the firing was triggered by a dispute over discount, a police statement in the evening hinted at a personal enmity.As per the police, the main accused Alok Upadhyay had a dispute with one of the salesmen Prashant over his friendship with a female staff at the store. The witness also said that the accused had once already assaulted the salesman outside the mall.Inspector General, Varanasi, Vijay Singh Meena, said the CCTV footage of the mall was being examined. The police is investigating how the three suspects managed to bring in weapons into the mall as frisking is done at the entry.
zoom Omani government-owned Oman Shipping Company (OSC) has secured USD 227 million in debt to finance the acquisition of ten tankers, Reuters said citing France-based Societe Generale.Comprising a combination of commercial debt and export credit agency financing, the agreement covers the purchase of 50,000 dwt medium-range tankers constructed by South Korean shipbuilder Hyundai Heavy Industries.Unveiled on March 2, the deal includes a 12-year ECA facility combined with a tied commercial loan for seven of the ships, while a seven-year mortgage loan covers the remaining three MR tankers, local media reported.Reuters said that the financial services company Societe General was the sole arranger and underwriter of the transaction.World Maritime News Staff