FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Bloomberg:PosiGen Inc. was close to finalizing terms on a $100 million financing deal. Then Congress passed President Donald Trump’s tax-reform plan.“We just lost $100 million in tax equity last week,” Thomas Neyhart, chief executive officer of the Louisiana rooftop solar installer, said in an interview.PosiGen is one of many companies that are suddenly facing a new financing reality because of the tax overhaul, especially clean-energy developers seeking tax-equity deals. At least $3 billion in potential deals are on hold for this type of financing, according to John Marciano, a Washington-based partner at law firm Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP. Some investors have exited or are sidelined, while others are considering repricing their transactions.Tax equity is a critical but esoteric source of renewables financing—totaling about $12.2 billion in 2016, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. There were about 35 tax-equity investors last year, according to JPMorgan Chase & Co. While solar and wind projects are typically eligible for federal tax credits, many don’t owe enough to the government to take full advantage. Instead, they turn to banks, insurance companies and some big technology firms that monetize the credits through tax-equity investments.Because the law reduced the corporate rate from 35 percent to 21 percent, companies will have fewer liabilities and therefore less need to find ways to reduce their bills. Further, there are provisions in the law that may constrain some multinational companies’ ability to do deals.The result: a market that’s poised to “tighten,” said John Eber, a Chicago-based managing director at JPMorgan, on a webinar Thursday hosted by law firm Norton Rose Fulbright LLP. Tax-equity investors that remain in the renewables market might “moderate” their contributions, he said. More: How Trump’s Tax Plan Made It Harder to Finance Renewables Tax Reform May Slow Renewable Deals in U.S.
In this May 28, 2013, file photo, Taiwanese investigators ride a rubber boat as they inspect a ship involved in the alleged shooting of a Taiwanese fisherman while they continue their probe in Manila, Philippines. A Philippine court found eight Filipino coast guard personnel guilty Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019 of conspiring to shoot and kill a Taiwanese fisherman in a 2013 incident at sea that strained ties between the neighboring nations. AP MANILA – A court has convicted eight personnel of the Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) of homicide following the death of a Taiwanese fisherman at the Balintang Channel six years ago. In a decision released on Wednesday, the Manila Regional Trial Court Branch 15 has sentenced the eight PCG men to 8 to 14 years 8 in prison, including a P50,000 worth of civil indemnity and P50,000 in moral damages. * Seaman 1st Class Mhelvin Aguilar BendoII * Petty Officer 2 Richard Fernandez Corpuz * Seaman 1st Class Edrando Quiapo Aguila * Seaman 1st Class Henry Baco Solomon * Seaman 1st Class Andy Gibb RonarioGolfo Six of the PCG personnel have claimed there was no “personal and positive identification” of them as the persons who committed the crime. The respondents have initially sought for the dismissal of the case for insufficiency of evidence but the Manila City court denied their demurrer in October 2018 and stood by its ruling earlier this year. Among those convicted were thefollowing: But the testimonies of the Taiwanese forensic official and a ballistician from the National Bureau of Investigation showed that the Taiwanese vessel was riddled with bullets and that the slugs found in the boat matched the firearms recovered from the accused’s vessel. * Commander Arnold Enriquez dela Cruz These PCG personnel were found to have shot dead Taiwanese Hong Shi Cheng after a sea chase off the coast of Batanes and Babuyan Islands on May, 2013. The incident caused a diplomatic spat between Taiwan and the Philippines. The PCG, meanwhile, plans to appeal the verdict before the Court of Appeals as they believed that the eight PCG personnel just did their job after the Taiwanese fisherman was caught poaching in the Philippine waters./PN * Seaman 1st Class Sunny GalangMasangcay * Seaman 2nd Class Nicky Renold Aurello Taiwan has imposed sanctions on the Philippines, which were lifted only after a Philippine government official traveled to Taiwan to apologize and after the NBI recommended filing of charges against the 8 accused.
highlights Pakistan registered their second lowest World Cup total against Windies. Oshane Thomas scalped four wickets for 27 runs. Chris Gayle scored his 52nd half-century. New Delhi: West Indies launched their World Cup 2019 campaign in style, decimating Pakistan in all three departments to register a famous seven-wicket win at Trent Bridge in Nottingham. After opting to bowl on Friday, Windies produced a superlative performance with the ball and reduced Pakistan for mere 105 runs. The Caribbean side came out with a set plan and executed it with perfection. The short-ball tactic against Pakistan succeeded in taking out eight of the ten wickets with the balls directed at the body. Though the most expensive of them all, skipper Jason Holder and Oshane Thomas shared seven wickets between them, while Andre Russell registered two wickets, giving away mere four runs.It was the final duo of Wahab Riaz and Mohammad Amir who took the score past the three-figure mark. Opener Fakhar Zaman and Babar Azam top scored with 22 while rest was all ruins. The Caribbeans’ five-pronged pace attack was too much for the Pakistan side to handle.Imam-ul-Haq was the first causality, bitterly disappointed with himself after he gloved a short ball down the leg-side to Shai Hope behind the stumps. The team had barely moved on from the early strike when Andre Russell put a premature end to Fakhar Zaman’s fireworks too, in his very first over. The Pakistan opener was undone by a bouncer he shaped up to pull, only for the ball to hit his helmet grille and roll back on to disturb the furniture. Before ending his three-over opening spell, Russell bounced out Haris Sohail too, leaving Pakistan reeling at 45 for 3 at the end of ten overs.Mohammad Hafeez along with Sarfaraz Ahmed tried to build some sort of partnership but didn’t manage to add much to the scoreboard. Hafeez played on the rise and led everyone to witness some sensational display of hand-eye coordination but couldn’t afford to cut loose with West Indies pacers striking at regular intervals at the other end.Skipper returned to the attack and struck gold, twice. Hope took the caught-behind appeal against Sarfraz Ahmed upstairs immediately after being turned down and was vindicated as the replays revealed a faint nick off the batsman’s gloves as the Pakistan skipper looked to glance the short delivery down the leg side.The pressure kept looming on the men-in-green which eventually put them on the back foot, and kept them out of the game. The wickets kept tumbling for Pakistan, and they finished for a below-par total, which also turned out to be their second-lowest total in World Cup.Chasing 105, Windies management sent their regular openers Chris Gayle and Shai Hope. The duo saw the initials overs before going after the opposition bowlers. Chris Gayle was the first to open his arms, and his counter-part Shai Hope emulated him.The partnership continued for 36 runs before Shai Hope was sent back to the pavilion by Pakistan’s experienced campaigner Mohammad Amir. He bowled a short of length delivery just outside off and Hope went for an aerial punch through the off-side. He was taken aback by the extra bounce and the ball ballooned up off the top part of the bat. Hafeez kept his eyes on the ball and completed the catch with ease.His departure led Darren Bravo to the crease, who didn’t trouble the scorers. However, Pooran along with set Chris Gayle strung a crucial partnership of 31 runs. In this process, the latter scored his 52nd fifty. His innings was laced with six boundaries and three mighty sixes.Once Gayle was dismissed in 11th over, and Windies already saw themselves at 77 runs. With just 29 runs to score in 39 overs, Pooran and Hetmyer played with responsibility to help Windies start their World Cup campaign on high. For all the Latest Sports News News, ICC World Cup News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps.
Across campus, the University Wi-Fi networks USC Secure Wireless and USC Guest Wireless have endured connectivity problems for students and faculty. According to the Information Technology Services, students and faculty members have reported difficulty logging onto the network, slow connection speeds and delayed productivity of applications.Chief Information Officer Douglas Shook sent out an email to students Thursday addressing the recent wireless performance issues. On Tuesday, a reboot of the wireless system was attempted at 4 a.m. with a software patch per the recommendation of the University’s wireless system manufacturer Aruba Networks. The patch did not resolve the problem and the system was not fully restored to the backup wireless controllers until 11:40 a.m. According to David Galassi, the assistant Chief Information Officer, the persisting underlying issue is that when the network is unusually busy, some devices cannot get IP addresses. This results in some computers that are unable to access the wireless network.Along with its occasional inability for devices to get IP addresses, Shook outlined the upcoming efforts of ITS to address other concerns students have had about the network’s productivity.“We have also had a series of smaller problems over the past few weeks … and we have escalated these problems with the vendor,” Shook said in the email.Freshman Karl Flores said connectivity issues have affected his own productivity on campus. “I was freaking out because I was so confused why [wireless connectivity] is even such a problem if USC prides itself for having all these grand things,” Flores said. “We have a nice film school, we have great security, we have spot-on education. I don’t know why [the Wi-Fi] is such a problem.”Flores also said that the usage of programs like Google Drive and Blackboard online require a stable wireless connection across the university so students can submit work on time. Galassi said ITS is addressing the issues by improving network resiliency.“We are currently adding additional capacity into buildings,” Galassi said. “We are adding additional coverage in the outdoor spaces, and we are adding extra resiliency to make sure the network is more reliable.” In his email, Shook also said that a “Secure Connected USC” initiative would be taking place over the next couple of years to “completely transform” internet security and capability. He said that students may continue to experience issues while wireless services are being moved to a new network. “We know that the Wi-Fi service has not lived up to the expectations of the faculty, staff, and students of USC and we [want] to build an infrastructure that is at the level of prestige that USC deserves,” Galassi said.