Head of the Constabulary Department at the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), Andrew Foo, was sent packing on Tuesday after the Local Government Commission (LGC) terminated his services.Former Chief Constable Andrew FooA reliable source confirmed that the Chief Constable was removed from his portfolio. However, while details pertaining to his termination remain unclear, the source indicated that it was seen as an “early retirement”.According to the source, the LGC saw Foo’s removal in the public’s interest, citing the passage of the No-Confidence Motion that was passed against him. The motion was moved at one of the M&CC’s statutory meeting, with the aim of ending the “lack of management” that dominated the security department and the poor work outputted by the officers under Foo’s leadership. The motion was carried by 19 council members, two voted against it and three abstained.In 2018, Foo was summoned before the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) in the City Hall which was led by Justice Cecil Kennard (retired), and it was later revealed in the CoI’s final report that oral submissions made by the Chief Constable contained conflicting statements. It was then stated in the report that Foo lacks credibility, integrity, competence, and should be dismissed.Previously, City Hall’s Legal Affairs and Security Committee had recommended that the Chief Constable along with the Assistant Superintendent of Police (ASP), Virjanand Gafur, be sent on 14 days leave for serious neglect of duty in relation to their roles in investigating a sexual assault involving a minor at the City Constabulary.Following the motion, Superintendent Andrew Livingstone was posted as acting Chief Constable.
TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments Inaugural 3X3 league tips off February 16 SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Andy Murray of Britain celebrates after beating Tomas Berdych of the Czech Republic in their men’s semifinal singles match on day twelve of the Wimbledon Tennis Championships in London, Friday, July 8, 2016. (AP Photo/Tim Ireland)Two-time Wimbledon champion Andy Murray is likely to be honored with a statue at the historic Grand Slam venue, the All England Club’s chief executive told the BBC.The 31-year-old Scot — who won the grasscourt Grand Slam in 2013 and 2016 — announced last Friday retirement was on the cards due to a chronic hip injury.ADVERTISEMENT MOST READ “I am sure something like (a statue) will be done, but meanwhile down at the club he is seen as a highly-respected person both on and off the court.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting He then choked back tears and broke down as he revealed he hoped to end his career at Wimbledon, but admitted the Australian Open which began Monday could be his last event because the constant pain was so bad.Richard Lewis, chief executive of the All England Club, said Murray could well be honored in the same manner as fellow Briton and multiple Wimbledon men’s singles champion Fred Perry.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsPerry — who won three successive Wimbledon titles from 1934-36 — had a statue unveiled in 1984.“We always felt that when Andy retired, that would be the appropriate time to recognise his extraordinary career,” said Lewis.
APTN National NewsA small First Nation community near Yellowknife is dealing with its first murder in over 10 years.The victim and perpetrator were both members of the close knit community. APTN’s Wayne Rivers reports.
Social media and companion devices are increasingly going hand in hand with TV viewing, according to new research from Ericsson that also found that operator’s should not be too concerned about so-called cord-cutting.Ericsson’s TV & Video Consumer Trend Report 2012, featuring data from seven global markets, found that 62% of consumers use social media whilst watching TV, an increase of 18 percentage points since 2011. Of that total, 42% said they used social media to discuss TV programmes at least weekly.In keeping with these figures, 67% of the respondents from China, Germany, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, the UK and the US, said they used tablets, smartphones or laptops whilst watching TV.In what looks like good news for TV operators, and dispelling some media reports, the proportion of consumers increasing their spend on TV services is higher than those reducing or cancelling their services. Taking the total number of respondents from the seven countries, Ericsson found that while 7% had cancelled their pay TV service and 10% had reduced it, 22% increased the amount they spend since last year. Niklas Rönnblom, Ericsson ConsumerLab senior advisor stressed that there were strong geographical differences, with the proportion of people reducing payments being impacted by local economic issues. In the UK, for example, 15% of respondents had either cancelled or reduced their pay TV package compared with 14% who had increased spending.The survey also found that TV quality was the most important factor for consumers with regards to their TV experience, while on-demand and timeshift were the services consumers were most prepared to pay for. Rönnblom said consumers were becoming increasingly accustomed to on-demand services, which was increasing their motivation to pay for them. “Once you get used to it, you get hooked,” he said. “If you haven’t experienced it, it’s hard to like it. More people have experienced it and the experience is getting much better.”
Youth broadcaster QYou Media has partnered with Airtel Digital TV, the DTH arm of Bharti Airtel, to bring The Q India’s linear stream of digital-first content to Indian homes. The Q India will be available on channel number 125 of the Airtel Digital TV line-up and will be broadcast in Hindi.“We are always working towards bringing new content and relevant programming for our customers,” said Sunil Taldar, CEO and director of DTH at Bharti Airtel.“With this partnership with QYou Media, we aim to bring the growing trend of short form video consumption to homes on their TV.”The Q India’s general manager and co-founder, Sunder Aaron, said: “Our mission at The Q India is to address this need with a powerfully relevant service proposition that is entirely unique in proposition, programming the best Indian video content from digital creators who are streaming across platforms.“We are delighted to join Airtel, and happy that both platform and advertising partners are beginning to recognise the potential The Q India offers them to reach millions of millennial and Gen Z digital-savvy viewers in their sub base who are now able to enjoy India’s best digital content through The Q India service.”The Q India is a 24-hour linear stream of premium curated content that launched in December 2017 and is aimed at Indians aged 20-30 years old. Airtel Digital TV claims to reach more than 14 million homes across India.