North and South Korea plan to bid for 2032 Summer Olympics Allen Durham still determined to help Meralco win 1st PBA title No wonder Japan, fielding its Team B, remained unfazed by its two losses in Group A. Chinese Taipei finished the preliminaries without a win in Group B.That left the teams in Group C composed of Australia, Iran, Kazakhstan and Philippines to fight for the last two slots in the quarters. Australia and Iran came from behind to beat the Philippines via five sets.“The team takes this as a blessing in disguise,” said Delos Santos. “We played 14 sets in three matches, we need to recover and rest.”He said that had the Philippines made the quarterfinals, it would have played four straight days and ended up facing a top ranked team.“And now we have two days to prepare. Today we had weights training and then tomorrow ball training,” added Delos Santos. “Now we are in better shape to come up with higher placing.”ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Nadine Lustre’s phone stolen in Brazil Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award LATEST STORIES Gov’t to employ 6,000 displaced by Taal Gretchen Barretto’s daughter Dominique graduates magna cum laude from California college The team went down the to pump weights in the Sima Thani Hotel gym before heading to lunch Wednesday. The Filipinas are set to watch Korea-Chinese Taipei quarterfinal match at Korat Sanchai Hall before heading to the swanky Terminal 21 Mall.“No need to think about what could have been, we are taking it very positive and move forward,” said coach Shaq delos Santos.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSJapeth Aguilar wins 1st PBA Finals MVP award for GinebraSPORTSGolden State Warriors sign Lee to multiyear contract, bring back ChrissThe Philippines, with Alyssa Valdez, Mylene Paat and Aby Marano leading the charge, destroyed Kazakhstan Tuesday night to post its first win in the Asian Volleyball Confederation Asian Cup here.The win could have easily qualified the country to the quarterfinals, but tournament used a new format that automatically seeded six teams in Groups A and B (China, Thailand, Korea, Vietnam, Japan and Chinese Taipei) to the quarterfinals based on their performances in the Asian Championships last year. Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew MOST READ Japeth Aguilar embraces role, gets rewarded with Finals MVP plum FILE – Philippine women’s volleyball team during the 2018 Asian Games. POOL PHOTONAKHON RATCHASIMA, Thailand — Team Philippines quickly became known here for strong court presence as well as for its winsome, pretty players.So it’s not surprising that when the news came of its exclusion from the quarterfinals, the Philippines simply brushed it off — and with a hair flip so to speak.ADVERTISEMENT Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Phivolcs: Slim probability of Taal Volcano caldera eruption They will face on Friday the loser of the Korea-Taipei match in the classification match. A win would line the Philippines up for battle for seventh place, while a loss would toss it to a contest for 9th.The best scenario is for the country to win on Friday and then on Saturday against a still undetermined opponent to finish fifth, its best ever in the tournament.“In reality, we are fighting in the level of 5th down,” said Delos Santos. “We are not there yet, but we are getting there.”With the way they played in the preliminaries, it’s only a matter of time before the Filipinas — the sport’s biggest stars back home — take the spotlight.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next View comments
A state of the art ICT Centre of Excellence was commissioned on Thursday and will serve as the principal institution to offer high-quality specialised ICT training to public servants.The US$1.5 million facility, which is located on the University of Guyana’s Turkeyen campus, houses two laboratories as well as a classroom and is an initiative between the Guyana and Indian governments.The establishment of the Centre for Excellence in Information Technology (CEIT) allowed Guyana to lean on India – a leading ICT innovator, in its quest to improve public service delivery. The project was conceptualized during a visit by former President Donald Ramotar to India.According to outgoing Indian High Commissioner to Guyana, Venkatachalam Mahalingam, this initiative is part of his country’s drive to boost the ICT sector within friendly bilateral states. He noted that this Centre of Excellence is the second that India has aided in setting in the Caribbean region.In addition to the equipment for the labs and classroom, India also provided three specialist to conduct training as well as over 1000 manual books.Meanwhile, President David Granger expressed gratitude to the Indian Government and in particular High Commissioner Mahalingam, whose five year tour in Guyana has ended, for his efforts to not only strengthen bilateral relations between the two countries but also push Guyana’s development through projects such as the establishment of the centre.According to President Granger, this is another milestone added to the legacy that Mahalingam will be leaving behind. He noted that the facility will see Guyana becoming more agile in the ICT sector.However, the Head of State is cognizant that the country is lagging behind in the ICT sector within the Caribbean region. In fact, he outlined that in terms of connectivity, Guyana is ranked 117 out of 193 countries with only 36 per cent of citizens using the Internet.To this end, President Granger underscored the importance of having a technologically-literate and digitally-skilled society, which he added is central to the development of a ‘digital state’ which will see the hinterland region also benefitting from internet connectivity.According to the President, ICT is a functional and practical response to the challenge of the digital deficit in Guyana and the establishment of the Centre is a step in the right direction which will see a number of persons trained in the sector.Meanwhile, Public Telecommunications Minister, Cathy Hughes, in her remarks posited that the world is rapidly changing and technology is replacing all traditions. Against this backdrop, the Minister noted that the public servants who will receive ICT advanced training at CEIT will be expected to keep Government’s online presence user-friendly and up to date.A 2016 MoU signed between the two countries saw the Indian government contributing US$1 million into the project including the provision of hardware for the labs and classroom.The first batch of training commenced in April.
Related Posts Tags:#news#web mike melanson Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Mozilla has made the first release candidate for Firefox 3.6 available for download this morning, following a recent announcement that further releases would be delayed.Firefox 3.6, codename “Namoroka”, looks to improve startup time and general responsiveness, among other issues.For those of us who aren’t in the know about software versioning, as a “release candidate”, Mozilla is hoping this is what Firefox 3.6, without the asterisk, is going to look like.“Should everything run smoothly during testing this is what will be released to our users as the official version after a beta period,” reads the description on Mozilla’s development wiki.Downloads are available for Windows, Mac and Linux from Mozilla’s FTP site.
Odisha farmers’ incomes grew more than seven times over a span of 13 years, the Naveen Patnaik government has claimed.The government, in its recently released draft Agriculture Policy 2019, says an average Odisha farmer earned around ₹7,731 per month, or around ₹92,772 per year.Draft policy“In 2002-03, his average monthly income was ₹1,062, which means that in the 13 years between 2002-03 and 2015-16, Odisha farmers’ incomes grew more than seven times or at a CAGR (compound annual growth rate) of 16.5% in nominal terms and 8.4% in real terms,” it states.The draft policy states that comparing the CAGR with other Indian States, Odisha’s growth rate emerges as the highest in the country during that period.“During the same period, average Indian farmer’s income grew from ₹2,115 to ₹8,931 which is at a CAGR of 11.7% in nominal and 3.7% in real terms. Odisha is fast catching up with other Indian States. Odisha’s farmer incomes grew much faster than even the rate at which its own agricultural GDP grew,” it says.According to the draft policy, between 2002-03 and 2015-16, Odisha’s agricultural GDP grew at a CAGR of 3.7% and its farmer incomes grew at more than double that rate at 8.4%.Odisha is largely a rural-agrarian economy. Close to 83% of its people live in rural areas and about 61.8% of its 17.5 million work-force is employed in agriculture. In the 16 years since the beginning of this century (2000-01 to 2016-17), Odisha’s agricultural GDP nearly doubled in real terms, clocking an average annual growth rate of about 4.5%, higher than the India average of 3.1%. The State accounts for 3% of India’s agricultural GDP.
Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ “It’s very heartwarming because we’re getting a lot of volunteers among the PBA players,” Barrios said during the event launch Thursday at Bonifacio High Street. Do not bring these items in SEA Games venues BI on alert for illegally deployed OFWs to Iraq 8th Top Leaders Forum assessed the progress of public-private efforts in building climate and disaster resilient communities Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Asian shares slide on weak Japan data; US markets closed Padda, Lady Falcons relish pressure from school officials LATEST STORIES View comments Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Read Next John Lloyd Cruz a dashing guest at Vhong Navarro’s wedding SBP president Al Panlilio FILE PHOTOThe Fiba 3×3 World Cup just might be a teaser for the Philippine hosting of the 2023 World Cup, but Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) expects to draw record crowds just the same for the event slated June 8 to 12.“We’re excited because there will be 40 teams from different countries coming over to the Philippines,” said SBP president Al Panlilio. “3×3 is basketball, but played differently. It’s equally exciting.”ADVERTISEMENT Games will be played at Philippine Arena in Bocaue, Bulacan—which has a seat capacity of 55,000—so SBP hopes to set a 3×3 crowd attendance record.The Philippines previously hosted the Fiba 3×3 World Tour events for club teams that saw packed audiences at SM Megamall in Ortigas and Robinsons Place Manila as PBA stars like Terrence Romeo and Calvin Abueva represented the country.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSLillard, Anthony lead Blazers over ThunderSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutout“One of the things we viewed as important was the success of the World Tours in the two malls in the previous years,” said Fiba managing director Alex Sanchez. “We would like to give the event a strong push for the Filipinos to see if they can develop a strong program to be in Tokyo 2020 (Olympics).”SBP executive director Sonny Barrios said aside from Romeo and Abueva, past 3×3 players like Troy Rosario, Mac Belo, Glenn Khobuntin, Karl Dehesa, Russel Escoto, Kiefer Ravena and Jeron Teng head the list of candidates.
By Latonya Linton, JIS Reporter Member of Parliament for North West St. Ann, Dr. Dayton Campbell, is recommending that adjustments be made to the Student Loan Bureau (SLB) to focus on areas of study that are critical to nation development.“I believe the SLB should first concern itself with making loans available to persons pursuing tertiary studies in areas…such as Mathematics, Pharmacy, Engineering, the Sciences,” he stated.Dr. Campbell was opening the debate on a private members motion on funding for tertiary education, on June 11 in the House of Representatives.He stated that new programmes should be assessed for relevance, in terms of whether they “respond to labour market needs, foster innovation or serve community aspirations, before approval”.Dr. Campbell said that while he is not suggesting that persons pursuing degrees that are “oversubscribed” or those with “a low employment potential” should be denied tertiary education, the SLB’s limited resources should be directed to those areas which are of strategic importance to the country, and at lower interest rates.These rates, he noted further, “should be inversely proportionate to the need of the area for national development thus the higher the need the lower the interest rate”.According to Dr. Campbell, the country is in need of Mathematics and Science teachers and in order to increase enrolment in these areas, students should get incentives to pursue these subjects at the tertiary level.“I want to take it a step further and propose that no income tax be collected for the first three years of employment for Mathematics and Science teachers, who needed state financing to complete their studies. This portion would instead go straight to the Bureau as a part of their repayment,” Dr. Campbell said.He also proposed the establishment of an income-contingency repayment plan, which would base the monthly loan repayments on the salaries of borrowers. He noted that such a loansystem addresses risk and uncertainty faced by individuals by providing insurance against inability to repay and improves progressiveness by providing a lower public subsidy for graduates that obtain higher private returns.Demand for student loans has increased over the last six years, moving from 6,600 persons in 2007 to 16,600 in 2012, and is projected to swell to over 20,000 persons for the upcoming academic year.The growth in demand, coupled with the annual increase in tuition costs, has significantly increased the pressure on the limited resources of the SLB to provide loans, which is estimated to reach $20 billion in the 2015/16 financial year.For the 2013/14 academic year, approximately $4.9 billion is required to fully cover the projected demand, which will be financed by the Education Tax and loan inflows from the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB).On March 19, the House of Representatives approved a Government guarantee of a US$20 million loan from the Caribbean Development Bank (CDB) to the SLB.