Friend and former colleague Malika Wanasinghe posted a picture of herself with Ms Kudaligama Withana in tribute. Kudaligama Withana was a physical education teacher at Horizon College International in Colombo before moving to Australia. She previously taught at Lyceum International School and coached several junior sporting teams. A man has been charged over the murder of her Sri Lankan wife in Australia, the West Australian reported.Darshika Nilmini Kudaligama Withana, aged in her 40s, could not be saved when paramedics were called to the unit she shared with her husband and alleged killer Upendra Pathmasri Ihalahewa about 9am on Sunday. “Good old days. I can’t believe this. Rest in peace my dear Darshika Kudaligama,” she wrote.Ihalahewa, 44, was remanded to a secure psychiatric facility on Monday after being charged with murder. The charge was read to Ihalahewa during a brief court appearance but he was not required to enter a plea. He will appear in court again next week.Friends in Australia are assisting Ms Kudaligama Withana’s family organise the repatriation of her body to Sri Lanka.It is understood her family will not travel to Perth and plan to hold a funeral as soon as possible.
Ford surprises with lower 2Q profit on trouble in US, China FILE – In this Thursday, Nov. 19, 2015, photo, the Ford blue oval badge is in the grill of a 2015 Ford F-150 XLT on display in the showroom at Butler County Ford in Butler, Pa. Ford reports financial results Thursday, July 28, 2016. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic, File) DEARBORN, Mich. – Ford Motor Co.’s shares tumbled Thursday after it reported weaker-than-expected second-quarter earnings and warned that things could get worse in the second half of the year.Ford’s net income fell 9 per cent to $2.0 billion in the second quarter as the company struggled with flattening U.S. sales and a tougher market in China.The Dearborn, Michigan-based company said its full-year guidance — which calls for a pretax profit of $10 billion to $11 billion — remains intact but is at risk. Among the looming issues in the second half of this year are the expensive launch of Ford’s new aluminum-sided Super Duty pickup truck and an expected $145 million hit to sales in Britain because of its vote to leave the European Union.The automaker’s shares fell $1.13, or 8.2 per cent, to finish at $12.71 Thursday.Ford CEO Mark Fields said the company will take actions to improve its results, including cutting production to meet demand and making sure all markets have the right mix of vehicles.“It’s kind of like when you’re having a bad golf game you just play through it,” he said.It wasn’t the result many had expected. After Ford’s chief rival General Motors Co. reported last week that its second-quarter profit more than doubled to $2.87 billion, many analysts thought they’d hear similar good news from Ford.There was some good news. Because of its strong first quarter, Ford still managed to a record first-half operating profit of $6.8 billion. In Europe — long a trouble spot — second-quarter sales rose 11 per cent and pretax profits nearly tripled to $467 million, thanks in part to stronger sales in Russia.But Ford also fed into many investors’ lingering worries about slowing U.S. sales and market pressures in China.“They’re trying to underpromise and overdeliver for the back half of the year,” said James Albertine, an auto analyst with Consumer Edge Research.Ford’s results reflected some Ford-specific problems, like the Super Duty launch. But its warnings about U.S. sales could dampen the whole industry. Ford’s Chief Financial Officer Bob Shanks said after an unprecedented growth streak, the U.S. market is starting to plateau. Pretax results in the region fell 5 per cent to $2.7 billion.Ford’s North American sales were flat from a year ago, and Ford’s market share in the region didn’t budge despite a big increase in incentive spending. Ford spent $3,475 per vehicle on incentives, compared to $2,700 in the same quarter last year, according to estimates from Kelley Blue Book.“We don’t see growth, at least in the near term,” Shanks said. Ford lowered its estimates for full-year industry sales in the U.S.GM’s shares dropped 3.2 per cent to finish at $30.99.There were other storm clouds. Shanks said Britain’s exit vote will likely cost the company $400 million to $500 million annually in lower sales and weaker currency until the exit is completed. There’s too much uncertainty to predict much after that, Shanks said, but the company is considering how to mitigate its risks. Ford is the top-selling brand in the U.K. and has engine and transmission plants there.In Asia, Ford recorded its first pretax loss — of $8 million — in more than three years. Shanks said Ford sold fewer commercial vehicles in China and spent heavily on engineering and warranty costs. The weaker yuan also impacted sales of its luxury Lincoln brand.Ford’s losses in South America also more than doubled to $265 million because of continuing economic issues in the region.Ford Credit also surprised with a 21-per cent decline in earnings to $400 million. Ford’s credit arm noted an increase in delinquent accounts and lower auction values for small cars, which are in low demand.Ford’s adjusted profit, of 52 cents per share, compared to a profit of 54 cents per share in the April-June period year ago. That missed Wall Street’s expectation of a profit of 60 cents per share, according to analysts polled by FactSet. Excluding one-time items such as separation payments, Ford earned 49 cents.Revenue was up 6 per cent to $39.5 billion. Automotive revenue of $37 billion beat analysts’ expectations. Ford sold 1.7 million vehicles during the quarter, which was flat from a year ago.Ford’s automotive operating margin fell from 8.4 per cent in the second quarter last year to 7.7 per cent this year. Its North American operating margin fell from 12.2 per cent to 11.3 per cent. by Dee-Ann Durbin, The Associated Press Posted Jul 28, 2016 5:12 am MDT Last Updated Jul 28, 2016 at 3:40 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email
FootballImpermissible Phone Call Reported April 4An assistant football coach accidentally “pocket dialed” a prospect on Feb. 4 before they were eligible to be contacted. OSU sent an educational letter to the football coaching staff regarding phone rules in relation to contacting recruits. The letter specifically acted to remind the staff to make sure they lock their phones to avoid pocket dials in the future. OSU also had the coaches wait until May 1 to make their single allowed phone call to the recruit.Impermissible Publicity Reported April 7A picture of an assistant coach with a recruit was accidentally posted to Twitter by the coach. OSU sent the entire coaching staff a letter of education about recruiting and social media focused on Twitter. Warinner and director of player personnel Mark Pantoni were each sent a letter of reprimand by the university because they did not immediately report the violation. Further response from the NCAA is pending.Impermissible Publicity Reported April 9Warinner unintentionally posted what was intended to be a private message to a prospect on his Twitter feed. As a result, OSU had Warinner participate in a social media training session with the school’s information and technology office.Impermissible Publicity Reported April 22Meyer accidentally posted a message visible to the public on the Twitter account of a recruit’s mother. The Compliance Office went over the recruiting rules specifically related to Twitter messages with the coaching staff on top of sending them a letter of education. Any further response from the NCAA is pending. Women’s RowingMultiple Violations Reported June 12The women’s rowing team reported two separate violations June 12, one involving two recruits taking official visits and the other involving impermissible contact by a graduate assistant coach.One of the recruits was not put on the official visit request list before she arrived for the visit, while the other’s visit lasted longer than the 48 hours allowed by the NCAA for an official visit. The rowing staff was sent a letter of education by OSU and the Compliance Office provided the staff with a reminder of which hotels are technically on campus, and which are off campus.The other violation was reported after a graduate assistant coach with the program sent a direct Facebook message to a prospect. The university decided to disallow the coaching staff from contacting that prospect until Sept 15, which comes two weeks after they would typically be allowed to contact the athlete. Women’s GolfPrivate Lessons to Male ProspectOSU women’s golf coach Therese Hession gave a private lesson to a men’s golf recruit. Women’s golf coaches at OSU will now have to fill out “private lesson request forms” and be approved for the lesson by the Compliance Office before giving the lesson. OSU football coach Urban Meyer addresses the media at the 2014 Big Ten Media Days July 28 in Chicago. Meyer was involved with one of 22 self-reported NCAA violations by OSU in the first half of 2014.Credit: Tim Moody / Lantern sports editorOhio State football coach Urban Meyer and co-offensive coordinator and offensive line coach Ed Warinner were each involved with at least one self-reported NCAA violation in the first half of 2014.In all, OSU athletics self-reported 22 different NCAA violations, including six within the football program, from January through June.One of the violations related to the recruiting of then-recruit Trevor Thompson, who has since joined the men’s basketball program at OSU.Outside of football, the only OSU programs to self-report multiple violations this year through June are the men’s gymnastics program and women’s rowing. The men’s basketball program self reported one violation during the same time period.In total, the violations spanned across 15 sports plus one violation committed by the institution, with football having the most violations. Men’s gymnastics and women’s rowing had two violations each. 14 of the violations related to prospective student athletes.This information is the result of an open records request submitted by The Lantern July 8 which was released Monday morning by the OSU public records office.Violations were self reported by the university every month from January through June except for March, with the most reports coming in June when there were eight.Of the 22 violations, the NCAA deemed 10 of them needed no additional action after the University’s response. Eight of the violations are pending response from the NCAA and three from the Big Ten. Only one of the 22 violations has led to direct NCAA sanctions.That violation stemmed from a football recruit’s visit to the university from Dec. 13 to 15, 2013. The prospect and his parents, who are separated, were each reserved their own hotel room during the visit. The OSU football staff was unaware of the fact that the player’s mother chose not to attend the visit, and so the prospect’s brother checked into the room instead. The NCAA ruled the recruit ineligible until he repays the cost of the room, if that cost is less than or equal to $100. If the cost of the room was greater, the recruit will be ineligible until he is reinstated by the NCAA.Responses from the university included letters of education sent to coaching staffs, staff meetings with the assistant athletics director for compliance, a position currently held by Doug Archie, letters of reprimand and other assorted sanctions.A March 5 report by The Lantern details all self-reported violations from the beginning of the year through February, which totaled nine self-reports, including two by the football team. The last violation report in that article was dated Feb. 20. Since then, the university’s self-reported violations have spanned from April 4 to June 25. Men’s BasketballImpermissible Text Attachment Reported May 30A text-message attachment which was intended for recruiting purposes was sent to prospects Thompson and Esa Ahmad. The coaching staff was prohibited from sending electronic messages to either prospect for two weeks on top of receiving a letter of education. Thompson has since joined the basketball program while Ahmad is entering his senior year at Shaker Heights High School in Shaker Heights, Ohio. RifleryNumber of ContestsThe OSU riflery team initially scheduled 14 competitions during the 2013-14 season, while only 13 are allowed. The school had to cancel one previously scheduled match in order to fall back within the scheduling limits.