ATLANTA, GA – JANUARY 08: A detailed view of the helmet of VanDarius Cowan #43 of the Alabama Crimson Tide during the warm ups prior to the game against the Georgia Bulldogs in the CFP National Championship presented by AT&T at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on January 8, 2018 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images)Alabama received tough news this past week.Star linebacker Dylan Moses tore his ACL during practice. Moses will be out for the year.On Saturday morning, the junior linebacker posted on Instagram to announce he’s underwent successful surgery.“Thank you to everyone who reached out and wished me prayers,” Moses said in his caption, via Instagram. “I had a successful surgery and look forward to rehab so I can get back on the field. It’s been a tough couple days for me mentally but I’ve held myself together with the help of my family and the people who support me. God has a plan and my faith has not and will not shake from this. I know I will come back stronger than ever with the help of @alabamafbl training staff. Also, being that I won’t be able to see the field with my brothers, I will continue to lead from the side and push them to achieve greatness for them selves and help them strive to be the best version of themselves possible, for it is not all about being a great player, but a great person as well. Lastly, thanks to everyone for the support and ROLL TIDE TILL I DIE!”Moses is already ready to get back to work, this time in the form of rehab. It’s nice to see he’s surrounded by family during a difficult moment in his life.Fortunately for Moses and Alabama, he still has a redshirt year available. He’ll be able to return to the field in 2020 with two years of collegiate eligibility remaining, though he’s also considered a top NFL Draft prospect.
Kolkata: Poll strategist Prashant Kishor and his team will be present at the TMC’s mega Martyrs’ Day rally here on Sunday to understand the mindset of the people of West Bengal before the 2021 state Assembly election, sources in the party said on Saturday. A formal invitation for the rally had been sent to Kishor, a senior Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader told PTI. Kishor’s men from his Indian Political Action Committee (IPAC) would mingle among the crowd on Sunday to understand the public mood before they came up with a “political dawai (strategy)” for the 2021 polls, he said. Also Read – Centuries-old Durga Pujas continue to be hit among revellers “He (Kishor) and his team members will be trying to read the minds of the people and the party workers at Sunday’s rally. They will also try to understand which sections of the people participate in the rally and what are they looking for from TMC supremo Mamata Banerjee. Basically, they will try to understand the mood of the people,” he added. The IPAC men have also gone through video clippings of the Martyrs’ Day rallies held in the last couple of years. Also Read – Bengal family worships Muslim girl as Goddess Durga in Kumari Puja “After looking at the video footage of the rallies of the last couple of years, Kishor and his men are trying to evaluate the enthusiasm among people this year. They have also gone through the documents related to Martyrs’ Day,” the TMC leader said. Kishor’s men were also visiting the places where TMC workers from far-off districts had put up to understand their pulse, he added. “They are trying to progress with calculation and these measures are part of their process to come up with a strategy to help our party get the desired success in the 2021 Assembly polls,” he said. After the Lok Sabha polls, in which the BJP made major inroads in West Bengal winning 18 of the 42 seats, the TMC roped in Kishor last month. Banerjee had claimed that the poll strategist would be helping her party as corporate social responsibility. Since then, Kishor has held three meetings with Banerjee, who is also the West Bengal chief minister, in which he has chalked out strategies for TMC ministers, leaders and workers. The poll strategist was also present at a recently-held meeting with the party’s district presidents. TMC sources said Kishor was giving tips to its district unit chiefs regarding the changes required in the strategies to help the party bounce back after the Lok Sabha polls. “During his meetings with partymen, Kishor gave vocal tonic to them asking them not to lose confidence only because the BJP has done well in the Lok Sabha election. His advice was that they should consider the 2021 Assembly polls as their first election battle and start with new enthusiasm,” the TMC leader said. Banerjee will highlight “save democracy” and demand bringing back ballot papers to replace electronic voting machines (EVMs) in conducting elections at Sunday’s rally. The rally is organised by the TMC every year on July 21 in the memory of 13 Youth Congress activists killed in police firing in 1993 during the Left Front regime in West Bengal. Banerjee was a leader of the Youth Congress at that time. The Bharatiya Janata Party’s (BJP) tally of 18 seats in the Lok Sabha polls held in April-May — up from just two it had won in the state in 2014 — was only four less than the TMC’s 22. The Banerjee-led party had won 34 parliamentary seats in the 2014 polls.
When the effort began yesterday, 64 combatants from the Civil Defence Force (CDF) were disarmed in Mongeri, located in the government-controlled Bo District, while three fighters from the rebel Revolutionary United Front (RUF) handed in their weapons in Batkanu, Bombali District, at a ceremony attended by UNAMSIL chief Oluyemi Adeniji. Another three RUF and two CDF were reported to have disarmed yesterday in Makeni.Weapons handed in by the RUF ex-combatants included a G3, an AK-47, a rocket-propelled grenade, bombs and hundreds of rounds of ammunition. In Batkanu, villagers cheered, sang and danced as the weapons were turned over to UNAMSIL military observers and disabled by the ex-combatants.According to RUF officials, the apparent slow start in the disarmament exercise in Bombali District was due to the choice of the disarmament camp – set up at St. Francis Secondary School by the National Committee for Disarmament, Demobilization and Reintegration, UNAMSIL said. The RUF’s Eldred Collins told UNAMSIL officials that they would have preferred to have used the military barracks in the area. While conceding that the slow start of the disarmament process was a disappointment, Mr. Adeniji said both parties were committed to the peace process.
Strong sales of Fisher-Price, Monster High lift Mattel’s 3Q results, tops Wall Street view by News Staff Posted Oct 16, 2012 6:20 pm MDT AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email NEW YORK, N.Y. – Mattel says that cost cuts and higher revenue from toys including Monster High dolls and Fisher-Price helped send net income up 22 per cent in the third quarter, providing a bit of early holiday cheer for the largest U.S. toy maker.The results topped Wall Street expectations and sent its shares 3 per cent higher in morning trading Tuesday.They also indicate that Mattel is outperforming its rivals so far as it heads into the crucial holiday season, when toy makers can earn up to 40 per cent of annual revenue.CEO Bryan Stockton said the quarter shows the company is “building momentum in the marketplace through share gains and strong shipments across our portfolio of brands and countries.” But he said the company is solidly focused on the holidays.“With the holidays still in front of us, we remain focused on executing our business and driving retail sales in the all-important holiday season,” he said.There was one lump of coal: The stronger dollar and tough competition in the doll aisle was a drag on Barbie, usually one of Mattel’s top performers. Revenue from that brand fell 4 per cent. But Mattel’s other doll brands’ revenue surged, including Monster High, its hit line of monster-inspired dolls, and American Girl dolls.The holidays are expected to be a tough battleground for toy makers, with retailers ordering inventory cautiously. In addition, retailers including Wal-Mart, Kmart and Toys R Us have beefed up layaway and reservation services to encourage shoppers to buy toys early in the season, meaning they might be scarce later on.But Stockton reassured analysts in a call with investors that he was satisfied with inventory levels and early layaway programs.“Our belief is (early layaway) is positive for the toy industry, particularly higher-priced toy items, and may help drive incremental traffic,” he said. “We feel good that inventory levels, both at Mattel and at our retail partners, position us well for success is the holiday season.”Mattel’s net income was $365.9 million, or $1.04 per share, for the period ended Sept. 30. That’s up from $300.8 million, or 86 cents per share, a year ago.Analysts expected 99 cents per share, according to a poll by FactSet.Revenue for the El Segundo, Calif.-based company rose 4 per cent to $2.08 billion, topping Wall Street’s estimate of $2.07 billion.Fisher Price sales increased 6 per cent, while American Girl rose 16 per cent. Sales of Hot Wheels were flat. Mattel reported strong sales of Monster High products, while sales of games tied to the “Cars 2” movie fell.Revenue climbed in North America and abroad, with international results pressured by the stronger dollar.Cost of sales fell 8 per cent during the quarter as the company continued a cost-cutting program and streamlined design and manufacturing processes.Smaller rival Hasbro Inc., which makes Monopoly, Nerf and My Little Pony, reports its results on Monday.Shares rose $1.78, or 5 per cent, to close at $37.20 after rising as high as $37.31 Tuesday, their highest level in more than a decade.___AP Writers Michelle Chapman and Candice Choi contributed to this report.