Home » Crime » Estate agency charged with 22 offences under Unfair Trading Regulations previous nextEstate agency charged with 22 offences under Unfair Trading RegulationsBournemouth based agency Meridian and one of its directors are alleged to have broken the law during the sales of seven homes.Nigel Lewis13th March 201901,947 Views A family-run independent estate agency in Dorset has been charged with 22 offences under the Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations including threatening to withhold a buyer’s access from a property until a fee was paid and allowing an employee to value a property that they had an interest in.It is also alleged that purchasers of properties were told to pay a commission fee because the vendor didn’t want to pay it, when in reality Meridian had offered a zero per cent commission deal to the vendor.Dorset firm Illsley & Son Ltd, which trades as Meridian Estate Agents and has branches in Bournemouth and Christchurch, has been in business since 2007.22 countsIt has been charged with five counts of ‘trader engaging in a commercial practice which is a misleading action containing false information’, three of ‘trader engaging in a commercial practice which is a misleading omission’ and two of ‘trader engaging in a commercial practice which was aggressive’.34-year-old company director Matthew Illsley has been charged with six counts of ‘trader engage in commercial practice which is a misleading action containing false information’, three of ‘trader engage in a commercial practice which is a misleading omission’ and two of ‘trader engage in a commercial practice which was aggressive’.The charges related to seven properties including five sales transactions the company handled in Poole and two in Bournemouth.Meridian Estate Agents continues to trade at its two addresses, and is a member of both NALS and The Property Ombudsman.Illsley & Son Ltd Meridian Estate Agents March 13, 2019Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021
A vendor in Portsmouth has listed his property for sale with an estate agency after deciding not to sell his luxury property via an online raffle, highlighting how difficult it can be to sell properties through this route.The owners of Winton House, which is now on the market with Fine & Country, had been offered for £10 a ticket in August.Before that the owner, local businessman Akhtar Siddiqui, had attempted to sell the five-bedroom luxury house for £3.2 million via another estate agency, but removed it from the market in July, and set up the raffle.He had bought the mansion in 2009 and spent three years renovating the property and its grounds, moving in during 2012.In July Siddiqui told a local newspaper that it was the success of previous house raffles around the UK and the recession brought on by Covid that spurred him on to try a raffle.Covid issues“As a business owner I like to do things outside of the box,’ he said.“Over time I’ve seen quite a few articles online about people raffling their houses off and I really like the idea, so I decided to do the same.“I also think it’s a good option to move forward with because of the current climate.”But his raffle was abruptly cancelled recently and, although tickets sales were meant to continue until December 22nd, Siddiqui has now refunded all those who paid for a chance to win the property, and is now trying once more to sell it via an agent.Neither Siddiqui or Fine & Country will say why the raffle was cancelled. But it is likely not to have sold enough tickets; at £10 a ticket the raffle will have had to sell 320,000 to achieve the house’s previous sale price.In February Trading Standards was given a role in policing house raffles.raffle house Akhtar Siddiqui Portsmouth fine & country December 9, 2020Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Home » News » Marketing » As another house raffle vendor gives up, are these competitions losing their appeal? previous nextMarketingAs another house raffle vendor gives up, are these competitions losing their appeal?Vendor of luxury £3.2 million house tried to raffle his home for four months but has now instead listed it with Fine & Country.Nigel Lewis9th December 20200636 Views
Back to overview,Home naval-today GWCSG Begins Their Portion of Talisman Saber 2013 July 16, 2013 U.S. and Royal Australian Navy (RAN) Sailors from the George Washington Carrier Strike Group (GWCSG) began their portion of Talisman Saber 2013 off the northeast coast of Australia, July 15.Exercise Talisman Saber 2013 is a biennial training activity aimed at improving Australian and U.S. combat readiness and interoperability.“Talisman Saber 2013 demonstrates the U.S. and Australian commitment to enhancing security, peace and stability in the Indo-Asia-Pacific region,” said Rear Adm. Mark Montgomery, the commander of GWCSG. “Our alliance with Australia is solidly grounded in our shared values and common security concerns and approaches. We coordinate closely with our Australian partners to promote security throughout the region.”Over the next two weeks the GWCSG will participate in various events with their RAN partners including air-defense warfare, anti-submarine warfare, surface warfare, visit, board, search and seizure, air-to-air training, and close-air support to amphibious forces.“This exercise provides effective and intense training to ensure our forces are capable, interoperable, and deployable on short notice” said Montgomery. “It increases the ability of all participants to plan, coordinate and execute complex operations.”Participants from the GWCSG include Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS George Washington (CVN 73) with embarked Carrier Air Wing 5, embarked Commander Destroyer Squadron 15, Ticonderoga-class guided-missile cruiser USS Antietam (CG 54), Arleigh-burke class guided-missile destroyers USS Lassen (DDG 82), USS Preble (DDG 88), USS Momsen (DDG 92), USS Chung-Hoon (DDG 93), and the RAN guided-missile frigate HMAS Sydney (FFG 03).[mappress]Press Release, July 16, 2013; Image: US Navy Training & Education GWCSG Begins Their Portion of Talisman Saber 2013 Share this article
Back to overview,Home naval-today DCNS to Contribute to NATO Ballistic Missile Defence View post tag: Ballistic View post tag: europe View post tag: Missile DCNS has been selected – as part of a multinational industrial team led by the US Company Leidos – to participate in the system engineering and the integration of the NATO Ballistic Missile Defence.DCNS will contribute both to the definition and specification and to the integration and test of the NATO Ballistic Missile Defence architectures. The single-award firm-fixed-price contract has a four-year base period of performance, two one-year options plus one eight-month option, and a total contract value of $77 million if all options are exercised.NATO’s goal is to integrate existing and future national weapon systems, sensors, command and control systems with the NATO Battle Management Command Control Communications and Intelligence system to provide an active defence for the protection of the alliance territory and populations, as well as deployed military forces and critical assets, against a large spectrum of ballistic missiles threats.[mappress mapid=”15324″]Image: DCNS View post tag: contribute View post tag: Defence View post tag: NATO View post tag: Leidos View post tag: Naval DCNS to Contribute to NATO Ballistic Missile Defence Authorities View post tag: Navy March 9, 2015 View post tag: DCNS View post tag: News by topic Share this article
DEATH LIST WK 5-22-17 TO 5-26-17FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail
Northern Ireland’s Irwin’s Bakery has been appointed one of the lead ’ambassadors for Ireland’ by Tourism Ireland, partnering with the tourist board in a series of initiatives in Britain, including large-scale sampling events in London and Glasgow over St Patrick’s Day on 17 March.This tie-up with the Irish tourist authority is a result of Irwin’s success with the Rankin Selection traditional Irish breads range, made in conjunction with Irish chef Paul Rankin. In 2007, Irwin’s sold some 15 million loaves in Britain and Rankin Selection achieved £11.5 million in export sales.Tourism Ireland spotted the potential to reach a massive external audience. There will be a high visibility on-pack marketing campaign on Rankin Selection products, encouraging consumers to visit Ireland for its gourmet heritage.”We are extremely proud to be considered as an ambassador for all that is great about Ireland,” said Michael Murphy, commercial controller of Irwin’s Bakery.David Boyce, of Tourism Ireland, added: “Irwin’s success in selling an inherently Irish product to GB consumers helps prime consumers to take the next step and visit Ireland ? not just for its beauty but also for its cuisine.”
Chatwins bakery has seen sales increase by up to 40% since a major refit of its shops. Managing director Edward Chatwin told British Baker that, since refitting two of the shops, sales were up between 30% and 40%, and customer numbers were also up.Chatwin also said that average customer spend had increased, due to the fact that more sandwiches were being sold now that they were made freshly on the premises. This is part of the bakery’s aim to improve its lunch and breakfast offering to appeal to the growing on-the-go market.Around £100-150,000 has been invested in each shop refit, and Chatwin aims to complete the refit of four to five more shops by the end of 2015. The bakery also aims to change the signage and branding of all 24 shops.The refits are intended to give a more modern look and feel to the bakery, and the firm has used market research and inspiration from other coffee shops and bakeries to create the looks.Chatwin said: “Before this we were very traditional bakers, but we wanted to attract a different audience than we have done in the past.“We are attracting a younger audience now, and a more male audience than we used to do, but it still appeals to people across the board and that is something that was key to us.“We’re very happy with the overall effect of the shop, we have a good combination of bakery-feel, but also an environment in which someone who regularly visits Costa or Starbucks would feel comfortable.”With the rebrand, the business has also launched a new website, and social media involvement has increased.
[cover photo by Mark Raker]THE REVIVALISTS 2017 TOUR DATES:July 15 Oakville, CA @ Robert Mondavi WineryJuly 16 Vancouver, BC @ Vancouver Folk FestivalAugust 10 New York, NY @ Central Park SummerStageAugust 11 Asbury Park, NJ @ Stone Pony SummerstageAugust 12 Frederick, MD @ Flying Dog BreweryAugust 15 Nantucket, MA @ Chicken BoxAugust 16 Nantucket, MA @ Chicken BoxAugust 19 Lyons, CO @ Rocky Mountain Folks FestivalAugust 25 Greenville, SC @ Greenville ZooAugust 26 Wilmington, NC @ Greenfield Lake AmphitheaterAugust 27 Arrington, VA @ Lock’n Music FestivalSeptember 1 Del Mar, CA @ Del Mar Concert SeriesSeptember 3 Snowmass Village, CO @ Jazz Aspen SnowmassSeptember 8 Hamilton, OH @ David Shaw’s Big River Get Down*September 9 Hamilton, OH @ David Shaw’s Big River Get DownSeptember 14 Fredericton, NB @ Harvest Jazz and Blues FestivalSeptember 22 Las Vegas, NV @ Life is Beautiful FestivalSeptember 23 St. Louis, MO @ The PageantSeptember 24 Franklin, TN @ Pilgrimage Music and Cultural FestivalOctober 6 Austin, TX @ Austin City LimitsOctober 13 Austin, TX @ Austin City Limits* David Shaw Solo Acoustic It’s no secret that The Revivalists are a hot commodity. In addition to their sold-out shows across the country, you might recognize their music in commercials for television shows, when traveling on airplanes, and spinning on the radio. Their 2016 hit “Wish I Knew You” has reached new heights, earning the #1 spot for various radio hosts over the last couple of months. It even won the #1 placement at Alternative Radio this last spring, setting a new record for most single-week spins ever at the format. “Wish I Knew You” continues its unstoppable climb breaking now at Hot AC and landing major Top 40 adds such as Los Angeles’ KIIS-FM.Currently in the middle of their Fire Into Light Tour, The Revivalists have just announced an exciting late night television performance. The New Orleans-bred septet will perform “Wish I Knew You” on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Wednesday, July 19, 2017 on ABC at 11:35/10:35c. This marks The Revivalists’ second late night television appearance, following Conan in December 2016. Previous to that, they’ve performed on television twice on the TODAY Show and The Ellen DeGeneres Show also last year.Check out the music video for “Wish I Knew You” below:Don’t miss The Revivalists on Jimmy Kimmel, and catch them in a city near you!
Harvard Medical School researchers have used a new DNA analysis technique to track when and how much gene flow occurred from sub-Saharan Africa into populations in Europe and the Middle East, highlighting not only the complexity of human migrations, but also the power of using whole-genome analysis to understand humanity’s past.Previous studies estimated the initial modern human migration out of Africa into Europe occurred about 45,000 years ago and showed that additional mixing occurred since then involving Africa, Europe, and the Middle East. Details of that subsequent mixing have been missing, however.Researchers in the lab of Associate Professor of Genetics David Reich have quantified when and how much mixing occurred in those populations after the initial migration from Africa, using techniques that his laboratory first developed two years ago to understand the flow of genes in the ancestors of populations in modern India.The study, published in the journal PLoS Genetics, was led by Reich and doctoral student Priya Moorjani. Nick Patterson, a research scientist who works in Reich’s lab and at the Broad Institute of Harvard and MIT, worked with Moorjani to develop an additional technique —which they called ROLLOFF — for estimating the dates of population mixture events.Together with other contributing researchers, the three determined that southern Europeans bear an average of 1 to 3 percent African ancestry dating back about 55 generations. Groups in the eastern Mediterranean’s Levant region have between 4 and 15 percent African ancestry, with an average mixture date of 32 generations ago, while Jewish populations have between 3 percent and 5 percent African ancestry, dating back on average about 72 generations ago. No African ancestry was found in northern European populations.Reich said the mixing dates roughly correlate to major events in human history. The 32-generation mixture of the Middle Eastern populations coincides with close ties to Egypt during the Middle Ages, while the 55-generation date of mixing across southern European peoples coincides roughly with the end of the Roman Empire and the Arab conquests. The oldest mixing comes 72 generations ago among Jewish populations, consistent with classical and biblical period contacts with Egypt. That genetic signal spans seven Jewish populations, implying that the mixing may have occurred in an ancestral group that then split.The results show that throughout human history, populations have mixed, Reich said, even those commonly thought to be isolated.“Human groups mix all the time; that’s happened in lots of populations in lots of different places,” Reich said.Reich said the research also reflects the fact that Africa was not isolated from Mediterranean civilizations, but rather had continued contact with them through trade and slaving expeditions, likely along the coasts, through the Sahara, and up and down the Nile River.In conducting the work, researchers used collections of DNA encompassing 3,634 samples from 56 groups in northern Europe, southern Europe, Africa, and the Levant region, which today encompasses Syria, Jordan, Israel, and the Palestinian territories. Past genetic studies have commonly used DNA from mitochondria to trace maternal lineage, since mitochondrial DNA is only inherited through the mother, or from the Y chromosome, since that is inherited only through the father. Because both of those methods use only a small portion of the total DNA, their results are naturally limited, Patterson said. The new method, developed by Patterson and Moorjani, analyzes single nucleotide polymorphisms across the entire genome.The major new method that is introduced in the study employs the fact that when a man and woman reproduce, their genes get mixed. That means that, with each successive generation, the original stretches of DNA get broken into smaller and smaller pieces. By using the DNA of modern sub-Saharan Africans as a reference point, researchers were able to estimate how long ago a particular stretch of DNA of sub-Saharan African origin was added to the genome by the length of that chromosomal segment. The study showed the source of the African population could be related to east or west African populations.Patterson said the study was something of a trial run of the method, which Moorjani is now using in a followup to a 2009 study by Reich’s lab on populations in India. An analysis of predicted and actual results by Moorjani indicates that the method is very accurate for 100 generations and gives useful results up to 300 generations. With an average generation time of 29 years, Patterson said this would enable researchers to look back 9,000 years, providing insights to human populations through a variety of critical periods. Another possible application, Reich said, is exploration of the influence of different languages and the spread of ethnic groups worldwide.“There’s a debate whether languages and genes are correlated to each other,” Reich said.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A third suspect has been arrested for his role in the stabbing death of a 39-year-old man in Hempstead last year, Nassau County police said.Daniel Abrego Davila, 31, of the Bronx, was charged with second-degree murder.Homicide Squad detectives said Davila was one of three assailants that attacked Rolando Cruz, of Freeport, following an argument in front of El Nuevo bar on Fulton Avenue in the early morning hours of Sunday, April 10, 2016. The victim was taken to a local hospital, where he was pronounced dead.Police arrested 34-year-old William Lopez of Hempstead in September and 29-year-old Jorge Poshon of Freeport last month. Both men were charged with murder and ordered held without bail. They are both due back in court next month.Davila will be arraigned Monday at First District Court in Hempstead.